Avoiding suicide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The mountains got at least six inches of snow over the last two days, so it's a pass until at least next year...

Roak

Did someone say they needed sherpas?
I'm a hell of a tank toter and my resume grows several times a week.:)

Hey, wait a minute..

I don't think I'll sign up for that one. Back to the jungle for more bugs, snakes, and crystal clear warm water at an altitude that is very boring.

I miss mountains, but that's another story.

Get a copy of:

BASIC DIVING PHYSICS & APPLICATIONS
Bruce R. Wienke

He goes over altitude diving in a very thorough manner. He also is a diver in New Mexico and has some experience with this as well. In addition, it is a very good reference for more advanced diving topics.

Since roakey spoke my (screen) name, I'll put in my 2 cents. Living in CO like we do, all our local (including NM) diving is at altitude. We regularly dive at 10,000'. We normally use simple tables (navy, PADI) to figure out what we're doing. I2, I really like v-planner, and while I've never implemented it (only a matter of time), I think it's logical.

Rick, roakey and I ice dive at a 10,000' lake each winter. 20-30' for 30 minutes. No sweat. Really, absolutely no sweat, at all! Now, we are no spring chickens, and adding these RISK factors together is rather imposing, but, if I may quote Dave Sutton, we don't *take* risks, we *manage* risk.

I2, there are 2 lakes here that are close to 13,000' that are accessible. We'll have to work to get there, but we'll use drysuits and simple rigs, like maybe bp's and al40's for a dive to 20-25' for whatever. Next year. Hopefully. Gotta plan some more.

The Cross corrections for altitude stop at 10,000', but that doesn't mean diving gets radically risky beyond there. Lake Baikal, anyone?

Joe

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom