AWESOME Manta Night Dive in Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spt29970

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I mostly shoot stills, but I have been trying to branch out to shoot some video. A couple weeks ago my wife and I went on an AWESOME manta night dive. Here are a couple of my humble offerings. Enjoy!

[video=youtube_share;RjbgIQTzc-s]http://youtu.be/RjbgIQTzc-s[/video]

[video=youtube_share;AO51bAii-Og]http://youtu.be/AO51bAii-Og[/video]

You can see the stills at:

Hawaii 2013 - a set on Flickr

I am a little surprised that there have been no comments. Admittedly my video skills need work, but it was an amazing encounter.
I thought it was pretty awesome. I'll be in Kona in Dec. Who was your dive op? Can you recommend any ops over others? Maybe if you called them sharks you would have had fifty people correcting you by now.

My wife and I dove with Jack's diving locker. Despite the fact that they are a high volume shop, I found that they were very organized, the DMs were quite knowledgeable, and their boats were well maintained. Best of all (for me) they limit dive times to 80 minutes (seriously) and for advanced divers they send them up as they run low on gas, rather than bringing up the whole group. I had a number of nice long relaxing dives.

I could have called the video "AWESOME elasmobranch night dive"? Or "FUNNY winged shark dive"?

:wink:

Wow -- we did the manta dive with Big Island Divers (who were very nice and ran the dive just fine) but we didn't see a single manta. If I'd had your experience, I would have been walking on air at the end of it!

... I would have been walking on air at the end of it!

I was walking on water after that dive. Well technically I was on a boat, but it was ON the water.
04.gif

I was walking on water after that dive. Well technically I was on a boat, but it was ON the water.
04.gif

Quite an impressive vision - SO many of them! Crazy!

I've been shooting video for quite awhile, as well as editting movies for family/friends etc. I've always wondered where folks find that cool opening of the point to point map illustration. Is that from Google Earth? Do you have to have the paid subscription version?

Thx!

The map opening is from IMovie '09. Sadly iMovie mangled my high resolution stills in the intro into pixelated cartoons, but the video seems to have come through relatively intact.

My wife and I did the Manta dive twice with Kona Honu Divers and a few day trips in 2012. I have also done trips with Jacks and I liked Kona Honu a little better for the Mantas, but Jacks was slightly better for the day trips.

My wife and I did the Manta dive twice with Kona Honu Divers and a few day trips in 2012. I have also done trips with Jacks and I liked Kona Honu a little better for the Mantas, but Jacks was slightly better for the day trips.

What made one better than the other during the day and night?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom