Trip Report Awesome trip to Newfoundland with Ocean Quest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey, just back from my second trip to Newfoundland to dive with the great team at Ocean Quest!

Here's a little video. Thanks to Rick, Debbie, Johnny, Jack, Jimmy, Chelsee, Maude, Henry and anyone else I forgot...

Looks like you had a fun trip! Not a destination I knew of, and being so far north obviously cold water, so a few follow up questions...

1.) Were you doing technical diving (I noticed doubles at one point, and a pony or stage bottle)?

2.) Was it pretty much all wreck diving?

3.) How cold was that water? What about the topside temp.s?

What drew you to Newfoundland? Historic wrecks, particular animal life, what? It's your 2nd trip there, so you found it good enough to go back and do again, which is high praise.

Looks like you had a fun trip! Not a destination I knew of, and being so far north obviously cold water, so a few follow up questions...

1.) Were you doing technical diving (I noticed doubles at one point, and a pony or stage bottle)?

What drew you to Newfoundland? Historic wrecks, particular animal life, what? It's your 2nd trip there, so you found it good enough to go back and do again, which is high praise.
The main attraction is wreck diving but there is also marine life, jellyfish and whale bones from an old whale processing plant. Newfoundland Wrecks

There is also an old iron ore mine & museum that you can dive if cave trained.

It's awesome. I went there last in 2015. We booked this trip in 2019, and it kept getting rescheduled due to COVID. I can't wait to go back. The people who run the operation are so nice and customer oriented, it just makes all of the diving a joy. Plus there is stuff topside to do for non divers.

I brought my rebreather. Of the five of us diving, two were on CCR, one was on doubles and technically trained, one was on doubles and not technically trained, and one was a relatively new diver on single tank with a pony bottle.

While there is no problem doing deco, as a practical matter it's pretty chilly and we all felt that we had enough time on the relatively shallow wrecks so that we didn't need to do much in the way of tech diving (defined as staged decompression).

There are the four Bell Island wrecks, that were in the video. Last time I was here we did an iceberg dive which was amazing, but they didn't make it down to our area this year. There's a very cool shore dive at the South Dildo whaling station, where they used to process whales, and there are some big skeletons on the bottom. There are a number of other very cool shore dives. And in the summer, there are the humpback whales.

diving_078.JPG
diving_097.JPG
diving_105.JPG

Water was the low 30s. Topside was pleasant, a bit chilly but very nice.

The first trip was run by a friend of mine. I love the diving, the people, the culture, the history, etc... The history of the Bell Island wrecks and WW2 was fascinating, and this crew really knows it well.

Great video and I love the lift on the dive boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom