Trip Report March 16-23 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fantroym

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
Got back from my second annual week in Cozumel during Spring Break and it was another great trip. I arrived separately from my friend who missed his flight out of St. Louis. Southwest said they weren't able to get him down until Tuesday but I managed to find an American Airlines flight that got in an hour after me. I ended up changing my flight to fly out of Kansas City in order to watch my daughter in the Xcel State Gymnastics Championship and the new KC airport was nearly empty compared to STL which had lines out the door at the same time. Arriving was somewhat chaotic as expected with spring break. I arrived and made it through immigration pretty quick, then decided to wait for my friend who landed right about the time I got to baggage claim and our bags were delayed. Then two of immigration desks closed. I spent more time waiting for my buddy then I did flying down! But anyway after getting bags and clearing customs we took the shuttle to our booking.com apartment, CASA Sandy. Located on Calle 17 just down the street from Chedraui. newly rehabbed two story building with two apartments, we had the downstairs. Two bedrooms and full kitchen it really was a great apartment. We did the unpopular thing and rented scooters for the week to get around and didn't have any issues.

Diving run down
Saturday shore dive from Tikila Beach with Jungle Divers. Was meant to just dial out weights in but we ended up seeing a small nurse shark and a few stingrays. dive ended with a great encounter with a small octopus.
Sunday we had a long day aboard the Anita with Plongee Grand Cozumel Diving. We did a 2 tank AM trip followed by a 2 tank Twilight trip
Monday We were on the sistership Yucab 2 for just AM trip.
Tuesday we took the ferry over to Playa and did a cenote at Dos Ojos with Reef Marina.
Wednesday back onboard the Yucab 2 for an AM trip
Thursday back to the mainland for a dive at Chac Mool with reef marina
Friday ended the diving trip with an am trip on the Anita and got to see the sea horse.

Food
Saturday was quick food from Chedraui
Sunday dinner was served onboard the Anita grilled chicken with tortillas
Monday Sunset Beach Bar. decent chicken fajitas, highlight was the view and happy hour buy one get one free drinks
Tuesday - El Foco was the highlight of the week I got the chicken Alambres and we split the mix ceviche. The guac was the best I have ever had.
Wednesday - Alberto's good Banana daiquiri, and the food was good but priced high.
Thursday Las Tortuga - Found on google and was a nice find. Had a chicken burrito that oddly enough was served with french fries but was good.
Friday Lobster house ended with week with Lobster house and it didn't disappoint. found out the due to lobster being out of season all you could get was frozen. The conch chowder stole the show and we ended with the key lime pie which was also amazing.

Over all a great trip. ended up getting 11 dives on the island and 4 cenote dives. saw alot of trunk fish ranging in size from just about the size of quarter to one that looked to be the size of a basketball. The seahorse on Yucab was another highlight along with a few barracuda. I got to see a stingray swimming through the water while he eagle rays still remain elusive to me but there is always next year!

This year we carried US dollars and pesos and checked the conversion for every meal some places offered a better exchange rate so we paid with dollars, others it was pesos. I did join the lost gopro club, but mine walked off a boat instead of being lost in the ocean! Well until next year!

Here is my photo dump Cozumel March 2024

Back
Top Bottom