B-29 at Lake Mead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All,

What is the latest on this dive? What is the current depth? Any recent trips you can share would be great along with suggestions for reputable dive operators.

Hi All,

What is the latest on this dive? What is the current depth? Any recent trips you can share would be great along with suggestions for reputable dive operators.
Hi, Rat

Dives are cancelled for this year. There isn't a boat launch within viable commercial distance. If you have facebook, here is the page to the only dive operator I'd personally go with....

Thanks for the update Wookie!

Does anyone have an educated guess what the current depth is for the plane now? When I was on it in 2009 it was 120 feet to the sand as I recall. I know that a handful of years earlier it was around 240 ffw or so when John and Richie dove it for their TV show.
I'm guessing it's got to be getting shallow now with all that we're hearing and reading...

Does anyone have an educated guess what the current depth is for the plane now? When I was on it in 2009 it was 120 feet to the sand as I recall. I know that a handful of years earlier it was around 240 ffw or so when John and Richie dove it for their TV show.
I'm guessing it's got to be getting shallow now with all that we're hearing and reading...
Using this site, * Lake Mead Water Levels

As rough guide, It looks like the lake is approximately 75ft lower than your visit so the wreck would be right around 50ft currently?

So looking at the 2009 historical data we can see the high was 1112.66ft and the low 1093.2ft (from https://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/lakemead_line.pdf) and the current water level of 1040.92ft (worst case this year, current actual is 1,043.45 from Lower Colorado River Operations | Lower Colorado Region | Bureau of Reclamation) from Lower Colorado River Operations | Lower Colorado Region | Bureau of Reclamation. We get a depth range, assuming 120ft to the sand from 2009, of 67.72ft - 48.26ft is my ballpark best guess.

It was at 100ft early July 2021. So if you want to compare lake levels you can get an approximate depth.

The wreck has a lot of vertical profile. I heard the tail already fell over, the the shallowest part is a little deeper now.

I think I heard it starts at 40' now and that would make sense if you are punching sand at 75'. It's a tall plane and parked on a bit of a slope.

Recent monsoon rains have brought the water level up something like 3 feet in the past weeks.

I went with Joel to the USS Monitor. I'd go with him to the B-29 in a heartbeat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom