Back from Ambergris...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two reasons number one it was a non-issue within a few days of the storm because they actually got it done very quickly and number too because it's not all that difficult to step from the beach into a boat

whens the last time you were there? they have a small dock for the boats and loading, still working very slowly on the main dock that will house the dive shop and dock the boats in the future. Based on the progress we saw while we there in DEC they should finish the dock sometime around March.

...We did the Blue Hole trip with ADM as well because of the large boat they have...The stalactites were amazing but the depth made our time so short that it went very quickly. They told us ahead that we should max at 130 for 8 minutes and some conservative computers may go into deco mode but "don't worrry about it, just follow along and it will clear as you ascend." Not exactly by the book...

...Carlos talked to us about diving more with ADM and we asked about doing a night dive. He was willing to take just the two of us out on a night dive. We were to have a boat driver with Carlos as our guide. We arranged pickup for the next evening. Upon pickup we found out we were going out just the 3 of us to Hol Chan. Carlos handled the boat and tied us off to one of the mooring balls, then we all entered the water together, leaving the boat unattended. I was not happy about this method and later decided I should have said "no dive without a boat driver." This was very unsafe. Had anyone had a problem or had the current shifted during the dive we could have had a major issue, but it all went well. We had a fabulous night dive...

Thank you for the great report, glad you had a nice trip! But I find the 2 comments above rather concerning, especially the second incident of diving at night from an untended boat. We have never dived with ADM, but as far as I know they are a popular operation with a good reputation, but now I have some questions about their safety procedures.

DSCN3890 2.jpg
Status of dock as of Dec 10th. using the 2 small docks to the right to load and unload dive boats. Black tower in the middle is the drill unit putting in post for the dock sections they average about 3 a day. when they are working. had blown the engine the day before we departed. But yes diving is still being done and everyday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom