Trip Report Moalboal: Savedra Dive Centre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carono6333

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Recently did a 3 day trip to Moalboal, which is famous for the Sardine ball just off the beach.

Accommodation: We stayed at the Dreamcatcher Hostel, which is in Panagsama approx 300m from the beach. We picked this place on arrival as it’s up a small lane and therefore escapes all the traffic noise. The rooms are comfy enough with fan and a/c. There is a nice area out front with hammocks and chairs to chill. Staff were really nice.

Diving: We initially went into ‘Amigos Dive Centre’ but the music was just too loud for us in there. Asking questions at the reception desk and had to strain to hear the replies. After a dive i want to relax and talk to others, not listen to loud music, so we decided to look elsewhere.

Next dive centre we visited was Savedra. The reception staff were really friendly and answered all our questions with ease. They told us dive groups were a maximum of 4. When we realised also that there was plenty of space, including your own place to hang your equipment, we decided to search no further.

The next day however we realised the dive guides and staff were too busy to give us a welcome or even a briefing. We asked for a couple of tanks and set up our gear (we always set up our own). We were introduced to our dive guide. I shook his hand and said ‘pleased to meet you’. He said ‘yes’ and then walked off. Ok…. He’s probably busy. We then waited around and the dive centre emptied out. We were beginning to feel we had been forgotten. Asking one of the staff, we were informed we should be on the boat. We asked them to show us where the boat was, and climbed aboard. Yes, there was our dive guide and equipment. He’s just forgotten to inform us.

After getting to the dive site there was a very minimal briefing and the guide jumped in the water. Was he doing a current check? Where we meant to follow? We were not sure but decided to jump in. We descended and off we went!

The dives were planned to one hour, which is important to us as we don’t like going up after 45 mins. Our guide was good at pointing out ‘good stuff’ such as frog fish. We enjoyed his diving style i.e. not asking us our air and if we are ok every 5 minutes, just getting the most out of the dive.

The diving is not that great, although pleasant. It’s mostly wall diving that is completely fished out - rare to see even a small grouper or snapper. You get a lot of pipefish, and the odd nudi and frogfish, scorpionfish etc. Basically, the non-edible stuff is still there. Our favourite was diving pescador island, recommended by a fellow diver and just a short boat ride away. It seemed there were a few more things to see here - lots of frogfish - and we enjoyed the light current and overhangs.

On our last day we did the sardine dive. Suddenly the ‘four divers per group’ rule went out the window, and we went in a group of six. Haha they were novice divers so it was quite chaotic. With the sardines ticked off our diving in Moalboal was completed. Just five dives, but we were keen to get to Malapascua before the Easter weekend. To be honest, five dives was enough, as we have preferred the diving elsewhere in the Philippines so far.

Pros: A large and well organized dive centre with a good boat. Great front desk staff (really friendly and helpful).
Downside: Minimum engagement between guide and divers. It would have been nice for the dive guide to talk to us. Perhaps have a conversation about the best dive sites? In his defense he is working his butt off in a busy centre with a high turnover of customers. Still, a little bit of conversation would have been nice. He was good at showing us good stuff though, and went out of his way to find a ghost pipefish that he knew was nearby. He also went the extra mile in finding a sea moth for my wife, who asked if he was able to find one.

Would we return: Well, once in Moalboal is enough for us. But if were to go back would we return to Savedra? Yes we would. However, we would probably check out a couple of other Dive Centres first to see if we could get a more personal service there. If we dived with Savedra again we would just do our own research on the best sites and make those requests when booking in.

I just finished 4 days diving in Moalboal. I stayed a bit out of town at Kasai. I probably would not have picked it on my own, as it is a bit more pricey than most places, but it is also very nice and quiet. I walked into 'town' a couple times for dinner (25min walk or could have arranged for a trike). Anyway, I agree that 5 dives is enough. I did 10 as I pre-booked this and booked to dive with my friend who I haven't seen in a while, who had stayed there before. Sadly he got sick the first morning and did no dives... he left the second morning to go home to Cebu City - luckily I stayed healthy.

Anyway, sorry to tag on my TR onto yours, but readers now get 2 for 1 :)
I just wanted to reinforce your view of 'not much there'. In 10 dives I repeated the sardines for 2 dives, which was OK but I would be fine with once. And White beach 2.5 times - that and the sites to either side seem to be the ones that got the least destroyed by they typhoon, but still nothing big beyond turtles, and while there is some good coral here and there, it is not a place I will rush back to. (or probably ever visit again)

And to make this an official Trip Report add-on, at Kasai groups were 4 or less, but unfortunately for me as a solo traveller I got stuck with some beginners a couple times which made things not as fun. Our Pescador Island trip I got put in a group with two "advanced" divers who were not so, and one was having trouble descending, then the DM lost him (he ended up drifting into the other group) - so we spent 10min in the shallows finding him. Then he sucked his air in 30min so... yeah, not a great dive. And I couldn't go back b/c the other divers I was with the other days were not advanced enough for the current or depth. But the DM's and boat and shop and everything about the place is good. Just can't choose who you dive with when there are only a few guests diving.

I'm going to Mikes in Dauin after a few days diving Santander so hopefully I have a favorable time there. Maybe I'll tag on to your TR for that one too :wink:

Moalboal isn't over fished, it was destroyed in a typhoon during Covid. It was sad, as it used to be an amazing place to dive with loads of critters. You'd see 5 turtles on each dive and the coral was intense.

I went last year for the first time since 2019 and I was disappointed for sure. Luckily the sardines were back and if you look closely there was some decent new coral buds starting to grow, but it's going to take 5-10 years minimum where it'll be decent diving, and longer for it to be good-great diving again (if ever), barring another typhoon.

It's unfortunate, because that was a gem in the Philippines.

I know some of the management and instructors with Savedra back when they worked at Cebu Dive Center and they still maintain the professional but chill vibe they were known for back in the day.

I dived with Savedra in December (2023) and thought they were a great operation. Very well set up and friendly and helpful staff. Sardines are definitely there, Pescador island has enough fish to justify its name, and we saw several turtles on every dive. I didn’t have the pleasure of diving Moalboal before the typhoon, and definitely it has been damaged, but it is coming back to life.
That being said, for diving in the Visayas I would pick Dauin or Malapascua over Moalboal (I did all three) for the diversity of marine life. The town of Moalboal (or more precisely the neighbouring town with all the diving and tourists) is a bit to busy for my liking.

That being said, for diving in the Visayas I would pick Dauin or Malapascua over Moalboal (I did all three) for the diversity of marine life. The town of Moalboal (or more precisely the neighbouring town with all the diving and tourists) is a bit to busy for my liking.
You ought to try Southern Leyte in your next visit.
Tourism hasn't arrived yet.

I just finished 4 days diving in Moalboal. I stayed a bit out of town at Kasai. I probably would not have picked it on my own, as it is a bit more pricey than most places, but it is also very nice and quiet. I walked into 'town' a couple times for dinner (25min walk or could have arranged for a trike). Anyway, I agree that 5 dives is enough. I did 10 as I pre-booked this and booked to dive with my friend who I haven't seen in a while, who had stayed there before. Sadly he got sick the first morning and did no dives... he left the second morning to go home to Cebu City - luckily I stayed healthy.

Anyway, sorry to tag on my TR onto yours, but readers now get 2 for 1 :)
I just wanted to reinforce your view of 'not much there'. In 10 dives I repeated the sardines for 2 dives, which was OK but I would be fine with once. And White beach 2.5 times - that and the sites to either side seem to be the ones that got the least destroyed by they typhoon, but still nothing big beyond turtles, and while there is some good coral here and there, it is not a place I will rush back to. (or probably ever visit again)

And to make this an official Trip Report add-on, at Kasai groups were 4 or less, but unfortunately for me as a solo traveller I got stuck with some beginners a couple times which made things not as fun. Our Pescador Island trip I got put in a group with two "advanced" divers who were not so, and one was having trouble descending, then the DM lost him (he ended up drifting into the other group) - so we spent 10min in the shallows finding him. Then he sucked his air in 30min so... yeah, not a great dive. And I couldn't go back b/c the other divers I was with the other days were not advanced enough for the current or depth. But the DM's and boat and shop and everything about the place is good. Just can't choose who you dive with when there are only a few guests diving.

I'm going to Mikes in Dauin after a few days diving Santander so hopefully I have a favorable time there. Maybe I'll tag on to your TR for that one too :wink:
Sorry to hear you got stuck with air sucking novices. We've noticed that the advantage of the busy centres is a higher chance of being buddied with proficient divers. The downside can be a less personal service of course.
Looking forward to your Mike's Dauin report 👍

I got put in a group with two "advanced" divers who were not so, and one was having trouble descending, then the DM lost him (he ended up drifting into the other group) - so we spent 10min in the shallows finding him. Then he sucked his air in 30min so..
That is always a problem no matter where you are. My wife and I are pretty experienced divers (500+ dives), PADI rescue divers. We went to the Galapagos last month, which is generally considered to be advanced diving due to the water temp, the currents, and in our case piss-poor viz. Yet, we had a diver on the boat who was certified 25 years ago, and I don’t think had gone diving since! Super nice guy, but absolutely over his head on this trip, where we had it all . . . Ripping currents, cold water and really poor viz. He sucked through his air, had zero buoyancy control, flailed around under water and the DM had to be next to him at all times. Luckily, the DM would take him to the surface and I would lead the group until he got back. But novice divers can’t be avoided, even on trips where there are warnings that it is for advanced divers only! But in shallow <50ft muck dives, where I can get at least 70 min easily on a tank, nothing would piss me off more than having to cut my dive short as a macro photographer because of some novices!

There is no reason to get up-set because of some issues with the fellow divers. I just get on with it.
A girl took more than 5mins to descent because of equalizing problem, two of us just waited patiently at 15m and eventually she came down with the DM. And she is an experience diver.

If experiences and abilities within a group are vastly different, then makes sense to rearrange so experienced divers go together and more novice divers are grouped together. Good dive centres do this as far as practicable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom