Trip Report Dauin (Negros), Mike’s Dauin Beach Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carono6333

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Quick report as this one has been mentioned on the board previously.

We dived with Mike’s earlier this month. We often go a little cheaper, but liked the look of the place via internet searches. Also, reviews suggested it was nice and quiet (it is).

Communication and deposit payment: All very good
Accommodation: We booked the standard room. They also do deluxe but we didn’t look in. The standard room was spacious and very good, with plenty of hot water, a/c and fan, comfy bed, and comfy chairs outside the room (nice to chill)
Restaurant menu: Reasonably extensive menu with good quality food. Has a variety of food styles, including Mexican (the owner’s favourite apparently). Breakfast is included (we booked direct, if through an agent please check). There is a bar too (although we don’t really drink so can’t comment).
Diving: The guides were very good and adapted quickly to our diving style (very slow haha). Other divers in our group were of a similar experience/skill level. The boat is the traditional style with plenty of room onboard and a comfort room (toilet). It’s single dives and back to the resort, unless you dive Apo - which is a two dive trip. We were really happy with the guide and the service provided. They really do a good job there and we don’t have even any grumbles (unusual for us haha)
Hanging out: It’s a comfortable resort and very nice to chill by the pool or restaurant and chat with others. Very friendly place. Chester (the manager) makes a huge effort to make sure you are as happy as can be. We particularly liked the way he introduced guests to each other, and the extra-extra-mile he went to make sure your stay was as good as possible. One highlight was a guest who wanted a late check-out but others were waiting for his room to be vacant. Chester arranged for him to have another room just for a few hours, so he could chill and shower etc. That was definitely extra mile. Another was Chester hearing that i had an infected wound in my arm, and that i was going into town to see the doctor. Chester immediately called the doctor and arranged for him to visit me at the resort, bringing suitable antibiotics etc. Wow - amazing.

There is only one little grumble, which is the free breakfast choices are very, very limited, and they give you options to add to your breakfast for an extra charge. My suggestion to the resort would be to scrap this and just give a decent breakfast as other resorts do. After all, it’s not a budget provider!

Would I return? Definitely. The stay at Mike’s Dauin Beach Resort was a highlight on our Philippines trip so far.

True to form, I'll tag on my review to this one. I stayed at Mikes for 3 nights. Very comfortable room (AC room). As some reports state, the AC is a bit loud. Didn't really bother me much, but it is an older unit. Very nice pool. I didn't eat here (at at Finbar, Soga, Frontemare, and Aquarius)... except breakfasts which as stated are pretty limited, but good enough for me. It does say 60 PHP extra for brewed coffee, but they didn't charge me for it.

Chester is indeed a very nice guy, and all the staff and guides are also very nice. I did 2 local dives and a trip to Apo. Gear is good, boat is nice, guides did a good job. No complaints, though I don't think I saw the 'best of Dauin' - as it's a bit of a crap-shoot when going for muck. But I had a good time and will return one day.

As a bonus review, I'll add in my stay at Bongo Bongo. Mikes only had availability for 3N and I wanted a little longer, so I booked 2N at Bongo. I only went diving on the first night. First dive was a house-reef short dive. Pretty decent. Lots of ghost pipes, and a village of cuttlefish. Big school of squid swimming around. Second dive was El Dorado and saw a few beautiful seahorses. Both dives were shore dives with just me and the guide. No complaints at all. And dives here are a bit cheaper than Mikes, and gear is included. Of course the rooms are MUCH less deluxe, but also cost 1/2 the price. Good enough for me (private AC room). I would happily stay here as well, though the rooms at Mikes are much nicer and the resort overall is of course nicer. But you pay for it. Mikes also has a restaurant and is a little closer to 'stuff'.

I wanted to dive Secret based on chatting with someone I bet - they went with Bongos and saw 8 blue rings, a mimic, and I think a few frog fish in one dive. When I requested this from the DM he said they would usually go there early (7:30a) and it was already 9am (normal dive time for them) so couldnt go. And I wanted to take a break from diving for my last day so I could get a bike and explore. I went to the fantastic Sunday market in Valencia and then went up to the Casaroro Falls. And now I'm gonna go up to the Baslay Coffee plantation for a little view. Also recommend a massage at Hazel's.

Overall I had a pretty good time in in Dauin and I will happily return one day. I think the muck was a bit more plentiful in PG and Lembeh, but it is a nice vibe here and not too difficult to get here.

True to form, I'll tag on my review to this one. I stayed at Mikes for 3 nights. Very comfortable room (AC room). As some reports state, the AC is a bit loud. Didn't really bother me much, but it is an older unit. Very nice pool. I didn't eat here (at at Finbar, Soga, Frontemare, and Aquarius)... except breakfasts which as stated are pretty limited, but good enough for me. It does say 60 PHP extra for brewed coffee, but they didn't charge me for it.

Chester is indeed a very nice guy, and all the staff and guides are also very nice. I did 2 local dives and a trip to Apo. Gear is good, boat is nice, guides did a good job. No complaints, though I don't think I saw the 'best of Dauin' - as it's a bit of a crap-shoot when going for muck. But I had a good time and will return one day.

As a bonus review, I'll add in my stay at Bongo Bongo. Mikes only had availability for 3N and I wanted a little longer, so I booked 2N at Bongo. I only went diving on the first night. First dive was a house-reef short dive. Pretty decent. Lots of ghost pipes, and a village of cuttlefish. Big school of squid swimming around. Second dive was El Dorado and saw a few beautiful seahorses. Both dives were shore dives with just me and the guide. No complaints at all. And dives here are a bit cheaper than Mikes, and gear is included. Of course the rooms are MUCH less deluxe, but also cost 1/2 the price. Good enough for me (private AC room). I would happily stay here as well, though the rooms at Mikes are much nicer and the resort overall is of course nicer. But you pay for it. Mikes also has a restaurant and is a little closer to 'stuff'.

I wanted to dive Secret based on chatting with someone I bet - they went with Bongos and saw 8 blue rings, a mimic, and I think a few frog fish in one dive. When I requested this from the DM he said they would usually go there early (7:30a) and it was already 9am (normal dive time for them) so couldnt go. And I wanted to take a break from diving for my last day so I could get a bike and explore. I went to the fantastic Sunday market in Valencia and then went up to the Casaroro Falls. And now I'm gonna go up to the Baslay Coffee plantation for a little view. Also recommend a massage at Hazel's.

Overall I had a pretty good time in in Dauin and I will happily return one day. I think the muck was a bit more plentiful in PG and Lembeh, but it is a nice vibe here and not too difficult to get here.
Great review. I will leave Malapascua review soon.... are you also going there?

Nice report...I like cheaper...means longer stay and more diving. Will check out the Sunday market when I'm there.

Nice report...I like cheaper...means longer stay and more diving. Will check out the Sunday market when I'm there.

LOL.
You won't be able to afford to dive at Mike.
It is quality not quantity but for cheap charlie that is another story.

We have stayed at Mike's Dauin Beach Resort a couple of times - both tripsdl were for 1 week. Agree with everything that was said - good rooms with a lot of space, Dive Guides are very good. We had the same gripe - the free breakfast is very limited and would recommend either not including breakfast, or charge a little more and Include the better breakfast.

Chester has just started when we were there last, so cannot say much about our experience working with him.

Nice review, thanks! Is it entirely muck diving or is there some reef diving (without having to go to Apo)?

Back
Top Bottom