Back from the Dead and Very Much Alive - April 2012 Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a fan CPR and the AED. All dive boats should carry one. Safe diving and thanks for the article.

+1 on the AED. CPR is at best only a holding action, the person is just dying more slowly. AED's are now relatively inexpensive and there is no danger using them on a wet surface. I think they should be standard equipment on commercial dive boats

I am a fan CPR and the AED. All dive boats should carry one. Safe diving and thanks for the article.

I actually just re-certified my First Aid ticket yesterday. During the class it was brought up that enviromental conditions will prevent an AED from picking up the heart beat. For example a machine vibrating nearby or the movement of an ambulance. I wonder if the movement of a boat in the water would prevent an AED from working?

Might want to add the ResQpod. Every EMS that transport patient's to our hospital use them as well as we used that in every code. I have gotten patients back with it. Very cheap, easy to use and it works. Advanced Circulatory Systems, Inc.

So it sounds like the strong current slammed her into the underwater rocks, knocked her unconscious, and thus the reg popped out of her mouth. Stay within arms-reach of your buddy at all times is my intention when buddy diving.

One correction to the story -- it is NOT recommended to do compression-only CPR with drowning victims.

One correction to the story -- it is NOT recommended to do compression-only CPR with drowning victims.

If I my ask...where did you hear that? Just asking.

If I my ask...where did you hear that? Just asking.

From Canadian Red Cross' website (didn't bother to look it up, but American Red Cross has a similar statement).

"Compression-only CPR should not be used when the oxygen in the victim’s body has likely been used up, such as with a drowning victim or when a respiratory emergency may have caused the cardiac arrest. Performing CPR on an infant or child requires rescue breaths. When an infant or child’s heart stops, it’s usually because of a respiratory emergency, such as choking or asthma, which uses up their body’s oxygen."

+1 on the AED. CPR is at best only a holding action, the person is just dying more slowly. AED's are now relatively inexpensive and there is no danger using them on a wet surface. I think they should be standard equipment on commercial dive boats
Yeah, it'd be nice to drag one on a cart with every hiker, etc. We don't stick to trails much. It's like when you leave civilization, you leave civilization - so you'd better take good care of your team. AEDs are wonderful but you can't save the world.

I saw that when I first read the story, and it is a very popular tale on the net, but the remark is so wrong...!
He started compressions and breathing using a now-outdated method of repeating 15 compressions followed by two breaths. The American Heart Association currently recommends a fast compression-only approach, suggesting rescuers pump to the tune of the Bee Gees' 1970s disco hit "Stayin' Alive." Others soon helped with compressions as Bill continued to get air into Hilary's lungs, but the physician worried as no water would come out of her mouth when he turned his wife to her side. Her pulse and breathing had yet to return.

The best course of treatment is full CPR with respirations, however, hands only CPR is better than no CPR at all. And in regards to the resqpod it is a threshold impedance device which requires an advanced airway in place. It is highly effective in increasing the effectiveness in CPR by allowing quicker/easier filling of the heart during the relaxed phase of chest compressions. However they run $100 a pop and can quickly add up if you live in an area prone to cardiac arrest.

An AED is cheap insurance for a dive operation, especially when one considers the risk of cardiac incidents in older divers. The newer ones are easily operated. Especially important if there is a time delay in transport to hospital. If there is a defib problem , CPR won't be effective. ( Maybe Aviator can clarify). Anyhow, if I owned a dive boat, that would part of the emergency kit with O2. I would encourage everyone to take CPR, and if your paranoid by the risk of virus etc. carry a barrier in the dive bag. Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom