Back mount, side mount, wing, bcd, split fins, non split fins, lions tigers and bears, Oh My!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are some gear sets that will work in a lot of diving situations. For example, you could dive a full cave set while on a shallow reef. It might be a bit of overkill, but it would work.

There are some gear sets that will probably work in a lot of diving situations, but they are not ideal for a variety of reasons. Yes, in theory, a jacket BC, donate secondary, and split fins could work in a cave. Due to the experience and sacrifice of others, the diving community knows that there is different gear that would suit that situation better.

If you are looking at what gear to buy, you really need to evaluate the type of diving that you plan to do. With that said, I have purchased gear only to have to replace it later because the type of diving I wanted to do changed. Also, I have bought other pieces of gear with a plan, but then I never got into the other types of diving; therefore, I paid for something that is overkill and wasted some money on it.

On the discussion of BCD type, get what you think is comfortable and will work in the diving that you plan to do. They all work. I have all three types (jacket, back inflate, BP/W). I am horizontal in the water with all three.

On the fin discussion, knowing where your fins are is more important than the type of fin. I have seen people in paddles destroy a reef just as much as some split fins because they didn't have the situational awareness of where their feet were and what was close to their feet. The best example that I can give is that I realized I had horrible buoyancy and trim when I started. I realized this and stayed further away from the bottom and reefs so I wouldn't damage them.

Split fins: not just good for bad knees, but also for those prone to serious cramping. Yes, frog kicking not too good, but doable when you want to vary your leg muscles when finning.
Jacket BCD: Only type I ever used. Fine for the type of diving I do (very basic-- no caves or wreck penetration).

Jacket BCD: Only type I ever used. Fine for the type of diving I do (very basic-- no caves or wreck penetration).
Yes, it works fine for those kinds of dives, but what does "fine" mean? It does not mean it is the best possible equipment for those kinds of dives. It does not mean it should be the first choice for someone who is also planning to do nothing but those kinds of dives.

My gear setup is the best.

Mostly because if it weren't, I'd have to spend money.

Heh. A mix of the best and pieces I have not yet replaced with the best.

Yes, it works fine for those kinds of dives, but what does "fine" mean? It does not mean it is the best possible equipment for those kinds of dives. It does not mean it should be the first choice for someone who is also planning to do nothing but those kinds of dives.
No argument here. I bought the jacket used as a brand newbie and don't want to spend $ on whatever may be better. When I was DMing I used the shop's jackets, which made sense since that's what the students were given. Plus, they were better than mine.

My gear setup is the best.

Mostly because if it weren't, I'd have to spend money.

I can't afford to buy anymore, so what I have has to be the best.

I did move to BP/W when mfg's stopped putting crotch straps on jackets, I didn't like how the new jackets restricted my movement. The BP harness is the same as started with 50 something years ago, so it was old home week when I put it on.

Bob
---------------
A divers abilities are not defined by the gear they use.

Is it valid to compare reasonably priced bp/w and a black inflates with the top of the line SP jacket BCD?

I see the advantages of bp/w but initial cost isn't one of them

Is it valid to compare reasonably priced bp/w and a black inflates with the top of the line SP jacket BCD?

I see the advantages of bp/w but initial cost isn't one of them

I compared a top of the line bp/w with a scubapro jacket.

Cheapest scubapro bc I found was a Pilot for $350, cheapest non discontinued back inflate was a Seahawk at $650. Pick anything from there, but you can get a top of the line BP/W for under $500 in the US, and anything in a jacket/backinflate from the big manufacturers that is cheaper is not going to be built to anywhere near the same quality

Cheapest sp back inflate is the litehawk @$410. It is not discontinued. They have changed models and the old one is on leisure pro for $250

I will buy that the DSS is the best performing bp/w as well as being one of the least expensive. I just think to characterize jackets as being a $800 expense is not a fair comparison.

Jmo

Back
Top Bottom