Back Plates For Wide Bodies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My take on plate bend angles is that it doesn't make any difference to me for either singles or doubles.

Some people feel that with singles and a flat plate, such as a Deep Sea Supply plate, the tank will be closer to their back, which is reported by some to be more stable.
With the flat plate, some divers will complain that the 1st stage touches their head. Others, like myself have never noticed any problems.

Moving on to the Halcyon plate, which has more bend than the DSS plates. This plate along with it's required Single Tank Adapter, will position the tank farther from your back. I guess this will prevent the 1st stage from hitting your head, but then there are some divers out there that will complain that the tank being positioned farther away makes them feel unstable.

I have Halcyon and DSS singles and doubles rigs. I don't have any problems with tank/rig stability nor have I ever experienced any problems with 1st stages hitting my head.

I have let divers use both setups when they are deciding on which one to purchase, I just set them up and let them dive. None of them have ever stated having problems with tank stability or instability, or any issues with regs hitting their heads.

I have noticed after they do some internet searching, they usually ask about these "issues".
I usually point out that they never noticed these issues while actually diving the rigs. Hmmm.

Actually the bend angles are not that significant. If you can feel the difference between a tank being 1.00" farther or closer to your back. Well, you are a finely calibrated buoyancy machine. :)

One thing that I DO know. I will share it with you, so you don't find out the hard way....don't EVER mix a flat plate with a horseshoe wing!.....EVER! That combination will kill you.
Or is it the other way around???? I forget.
Whatever....... It doesn't matter............ Just don't do it!.

I actually made an almost flat stainless steel back plate, (flatter than DSS)...just to bust the myth. ;-)
It didn't feel any more stable than the ones with more bend, and the back of my head still wasn't being hit by my reg.

Tell your regs to stop hitting you in the back of the head if that's happening to you....that stuffs not funny. ;-)

I have noticed a difference in doubles, but it only relates to how big of a v-weight I can place between the tanks and the plate.

I have an 8lb., and 11lb., and a 15lb. v-weight.

The 8 and 11 will fit with the Halcyon plate. Due to it having more bend than my Deep Sea Supply plate, the 15 lb. weight will not fit.

The D.S.S. being flatter, will accommodate the 15 lb. v-weight.

As for the comfort offered to a diver with a wider back. I would imagine that a wider plate would be more comfortable, the shoulder straps would also be spaced a little wider as well.

I know that Deep Sea Supply does offer multiple plate sizes.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mitch IMG_0171.jpg282.jpg283.jpg

@ams511,

I want a freedom plate too. Those things are legit!

My take on plate bend angles is that it doesn't make any difference to me for either singles or doubles.

Some people feel that with singles and a flat plate, such as a Deep Sea Supply plate, the tank will be closer to their back, which is reported by some to be more stable.
With the flat plate, some divers will complain that the 1st stage touches their head. Others, like myself have never noticed any problems.

Moving on to the Halcyon plate, which has more bend than the DSS plates. This plate along with it's required Single Tank Adapter, will position the tank farther from your back. I guess this will prevent the 1st stage from hitting your head, but then there are some divers out there that will complain that the tank being positioned farther away makes them feel unstable.

I have Halcyon and DSS singles and doubles rigs. I don't have any problems with tank/rig stability nor have I ever experienced any problems with 1st stages hitting my head.

I have let divers use both setups when they are deciding on which one to purchase, I just set them up and let them dive. None of them have ever stated having problems with tank stability or instability, or any issues with regs hitting their heads.

I have noticed after they do some internet searching, they usually ask about these "issues".
I usually point out that they never noticed these issues while actually diving the rigs. Hmmm.

Actually the bend angles are not that significant. If you can feel the difference between a tank being 1.00" farther or closer to your back. Well, you are a finely calibrated buoyancy machine. :)

One thing that I DO know. I will share it with you, so you don't find out the hard way....don't EVER mix a flat plate with a horseshoe wing!.....EVER! That combination will kill you.
Or is it the other way around???? I forget.
Whatever....... It doesn't matter............ Just don't do it!.

I actually made an almost flat stainless steel back plate, (flatter than DSS)...just to bust the myth. ;-)
It didn't feel any more stable than the ones with more bend, and the back of my head still wasn't being hit by my reg.

Tell your regs to stop hitting you in the back of the head if that's happening to you....that stuffs not funny. ;-)

I have noticed a difference in doubles, but it only relates to how big of a v-weight I can place between the tanks and the plate.

I have an 8lb., and 11lb., and a 15lb. v-weight.

The 8 and 11 will fit with the Halcyon plate. Due to it having more bend than my Deep Sea Supply plate, the 15 lb. weight will not fit.

The D.S.S. being flatter, will accommodate the 15 lb. v-weight.

As for the comfort offered to a diver with a wider back. I would imagine that a wider plate would be more comfortable, the shoulder straps would also be spaced a little wider as well.

I know that Deep Sea Supply does offer multiple plate sizes.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
MitchView attachment 152409View attachment 152410View attachment 152411

Thanks Mitch...your post was very insightful...it now sounds like I have been hung up with trying to decide if I want a red apple, a red red apple or a red red red apple for lunch. :)

Back
Top Bottom