back to the drawing board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I purchased the canon 16 for macro stills, but I wanted to alittle of everything like wa video and macro. Since I'm a macro kinda of guy the g16 video has let me down due to its veryyyy slow video zoom. A turtle moves faster then the video zoom. I was shocked on how slow it is. Been thinking about rx100m2 and mirror less. Please let me know is I stack wet lens with the rx100m2 can I achieve the same magnification as the g16. Main subjust is a camera for macro and super macro

Macro video zoom turtle? You have me confused. Macro and zoom are 2 words that are not normally used together.

Can you provide a clearer explanation of what you are trying to accomplish?

Based on info I have read on SB, the G16 is the current best macro P&S. The rx100m2 is the best video.
you seem to have the right camera.

I am interested because I am also starting the search for my next macro P&S.

I mean the zoom on the g16 is very slow! Even though I don't plan on doing macro video, the fact is when I do need to zoom on land or water its insulting! Do you own a g16? I'm just saying even though I plan to take pic but video would be nice also. At the speed the g16 is zooming in a person could lose a lot of stunning movments. The rx100m2 may be a camera I would like to try for macro

Last edited:
Slow zoom is a good thing
1. Quick zoom makes footage look erratic and creates focus issues
2. You don't usually use the zoom unless at close range for a turtle the zoom are your fins

I think the sooner you get a camera and start using it the better

With my sd550 I zoomed with my fins. I just can't believe how slow it is. I got my nauticam today. Next is the strobe! Since ettl, salve and all these terms are confusing. What would be the name of a strobe firing from my cams flash, I dont want to use my cams flash so I can Dave battery life. Would ir just be calles salve?

Whats your name??

I now understand your zoom concern and would declare it a non issue.

I only zoom once per dive so it does not really matter how slow it is. So i do not worry about it as it is not a feature i use regularly. At the start of each dive I turn my camera on and then zoom it all the way and leave it there. Since I shoot mostly macro, I often never change the zoom during a dive.

I worry more about focus lock, flash recharge and image storage cycle times. These features come into play much more often than zooming. They are important, zoom speed is not.

Something that has helped me in making decisions is to create a prioritized list of features based upon my intended use. Items like zoom speed fall fairly far down the list. They are in the "who cares" zone so I feel happy ignoring them.

Concentrate on the important issues. You will not find a "perfect" p&s camera that out performs all the competition in every area.

But now that you have started bringing up these other issues, I think the color of the g15 is not a real "canon black". It appears to have a slight green tinge to it more like a Nikon...

Its not the zoom for taking pic, bit the zoom for video. Its just crazy on how slow video zoom is. I haf a S100 and couldnt stand the af motor on the s100. Glad the g16 has no problema with it. Thanks for all your info folks. Some of you are master's at what every lens does and etc..... Thanks Intercep

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom