Backpack recommendations for carry on for cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bbarnes

Contributor
Reaction score
As airlines are getting more and more picky about carry on size/weight we are looking for a solution to carrying on our camera gear. We need room to carry 2 strobes, 2 sets of ultralight arms, 2 cameras, 2 olympus housings, wide angle lens and all of the little batteries/chargers that go along with it. We definitely want a bag that has the adjustable slots instead of multiple bags..I would also love to have room for a laptop. We have been packing in a small rolling carry on but have had to gate check it (eek!!!) on some of the smaller jets. We were looking at some of the backpack type backs (Lowepro etc) and were wanting to hear anyone's experience with them both on the planes and general usage. Have a trip to Coco's next month and would really like to not have three bags to pull. Thought the backpack might be ideal.... Any thoughts/help would be great!

I just did a lot of research into this and the Lowepro rolling backpack was one I had my eye on. I ended up going with the Pelican 1510 because it fit all airline carryon restrictions and was a hardcase. After travelling with it twice now, it works but not as effective as the more versatile rolling backpack idea. IE when you have 3 wheelies and you're just one guy you have to build a wheely train. It would have been nice to just throw the backpack on and go. BTW, here's a site where I found the cheapest Lowepro stuff available. Its an ebay reseller but I've made 2 purchases from the guy. Sell N Send

We have a pelican too. In fact, we took the internal dividers out and put them in a rolling carry on and it works pretty well. It is just that pulling a gear bag and a clothing bag fills both hands so I don't want to have to pull a third bag. Any idea which Lowepro bags are of the appoved size for the airlines? A rolling backpack would be ideal but I am wondering if the wheels would make it difficult to store in the overhead bin???

Last edited:
Lowepro's website has a nice little airplane icon next to any bags that fit US carryon regulations. However, I've found from experience, by packing and measuring my Vertex 300 AW backpack, that's assuming it isn't bulging out hugely by being stuffed to the brim. :)

I intentionally went away from rolling because of the lost packing size relative to getting it in the bin, the added weight, and I guessed (no knowledge for sure as I haven't tried the rolling ones) that it would be more comfortable on the back. I was pretty satisfied with my choice, but I can't get everything into it. It did however fit even under the seat on the ATR from SJU to DOM.

I use the lowepro computrekker plus aw backpack. Took it to Cayman last month, it fits in the overhead and I got everything in it. As far as pelican, I own both pelican and storm cases. The storm does weigh alot less and it is very sturdy. They both have the forever warranty so that's not an issue. One thing too, don't forget to put any lithium batteries in a container in your carry on.

. I was pretty satisfied with my choice, but I can't get everything into it.

I am considering buying a Vertex 300 - what was it that you couldn't fit in or alternately what did you manage to fit.

I use a small k-mart samsonite roller bag ($29)that fits the airline carry on test box. I pack a c-5050 in PT-19 housing, INON wide angle 67mm, DS-125, chargers, primary reg & octo in reg bag, dive computer in neoprene sock, swimsuit, t-shirt, crocs, battery chargers, batteries Ipod speakers, spare eye glasses, log book and some toiletries. It easily carries on and I pack in such a way that outer edges of case have protective materials (crocs or clothing) asorbers for camera. For protection,the back of the case has the handle and the front has books. It has traveled well, (50 + flights) there is no space for dividers. Its light (until I load it with gear) and it fits overhead bins in all commercial aircraft to date. I do not let stewardess put it in overhead bins. I practice Tetras to pack quickly and efficiently:)
Its light, simple and inexpensive. I believe it handles a 5 foot drop well from cart on tarmac to ground. With a little planning possibly your gear could fit. With the $25 per bag charge with airlines the big bags seem less of a good idea.
Good luck
DP

Andy:

My rig is in my signature.

Here's what fit:

Ike housing
2 - 8" long, 2" diameter bouyancy strobe arms
2 - 12" long, 1" diameter bouyancy arms
6 strobe arm clamps (2-way)
1 strobe arm clamp (3-way)
2 strobe arm ball adaptors (to ike handles)
Fantasea Nano focus light with saddle clamp and ball head adaptor
2 - Ikelite DS50 strobes, with diffusers and ball strobe head adaptors
About 40 AA batteries (8 in the strobes, rest spares)
4 AAA batteries (in the Fantasea Nano)
1 4-seat AA/AAA strobe recharger w/ cord
Olympus BLM battery charger w/ cord
2 - Olympus E330 camera bodies
Olympus Zuiko 14-54 lens
Olympus Zuiko 35mm macro lens
Olympus Zuiko 50-140 lens
Ikelite 5503 (short 6" dome for macro) lens port, with neoprene cover and shade
Ikelite zoom sleeve and collar assembly (low profile for 14-54 lens)
Ike dual sync cord
Ike single sync cord
Handmade carry handle for rig (about 24" of rope with two brass shackles)
USB Card reader with short USB pigtail
Misc. memory cards (CF)
2 spare Olympus BLM batteries
Misc. UV filters and an ND filter for the different lens diameters (for abovewater use)
Plastic strap wrench (to help get dome port/extension separated for 8" dome, not included)
Misc lens cloths, spare o-rings, and Ikelite lube packs

...bag was still under 32 lbs (40 is the US carryon limit...or was, will have to check if that's changed).

Here's what didn't fit, and rode with the checked scuba gear:

Ikelite 8" dome port assembly with shade, neoprene cover, and extension (wrapped in my wetsuit for extra padding)
Ikelite 2-handle base for housing (all the way in bottom of bag by wheels)
A small 'holster' bag for the camera for walking around above-water.

Here's what didn't fit and had to go elsewhere (another carryon my wife lugged):

Laptop, laptop charger/cord, and ethernet cable.
12" leg "Gorillapod" (for abovewater)

------
Basically only the laptop and charger were the main items I wished I could've put in there. Although the laptop would slip into the supplied pocket with everything else in place, I didn't feel comfortable with how tight it was (was afraid I was flexing the screen and chassis). And it was obviously 'expanding' the bag beyond the carry-on limit of about 9" height at that point.

The tray-base with handles and 8" dome wouldn't be sensible to put in anyway as they'd just kill way too much room for other stuff. I suspect if I upgrade to twin DS125s (eventually!!) I'll have to move at least a couple of the arm segments into checked too...probably keep the parts for at least one arm, although without the base I'd be shooting in natural light if my checked bag got lost in transit... :wink:

I guess the tray/handles can be disassembled for travelling, but I don't like to carry more tools than I have to, or worry about loose nuts and bolts - the 2 screws and rubber spacers in the base are worry enough.

Last edited:
Thanks for the very comprehensive reply - will have to look at this very carefully - no wife/GF to carry the laptop !!!

Your input is much appreciated.

This is a Lowepro Computrekker AW. I don't have my laptop in there, I carry it separately because it is 17", but it does have a 70-200mm in the front compartment. I have more lenses now so I have started to pack my strobes in my check in baggage and added a photographers vest so I can wear the extra weight if they do weigh it. Fits nicely in the overhead bin. Housing and ports get checked.

It is heavy but stealthy because if it's size so just make sure you wear it to the check in counter and act like it's light as a feather...:D

IMG_7185.jpg

IMG_7186.jpg

IMG_7187.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom