Backpacking with a wetsuit or rent low quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was recently OW certified with NAUI over three months in Oregon/Washington and I'm planning to get more certifications on the island of Utila off the coast of Honduras. My question is if I should buy a wetsuit in the US and figure out how to deal with it (ship it/store it/carry it) once I'm done diving and want to continue backpacking through Latin America or if I should trust the rented/bought suits in Honduras? I might be going all the way to Dive Master in one big marathon of classes. Also might be interested in getting a job taking diving tours, ETC. A shop owner told me I would definitely need my own suit for this adventure and that there weren't any quality suits down there. Can I get an objective opinion?

There are alternatives, better suited to back-packing/light travelling. Have a look at 4th Element Thermocline and SharkSkin as two examples. They are artificial fabrics, with equivalent thermal exposure protection to neoprene, but are very lightweight, quick drying (thermocline is machine washable) and neutrally buoyancy in the water too (less weight required).

I've used a 4th Element Thermocline long-sleeved top for years - it's perfect (can even be worn as a sweater on dry land, for those cold air-con overnight bus journeys...)

Hmmm.... I would disagree with the argument that you couldn't find a quality wetsuit in Utila... BUT if you are planning on doing that much diving while you're there, it would probably be best for you to have your own suit. That shouldn't be too much of a problem even if you are planning on backpacking for a bit.

Coming from the pacific northwest, you might be picturing the thick suit you did your OW in :wink:. You won't need anything like that for Honduras. I've worked throughout the Caribbean, and am currently a little bit northeast of where you will be. I'm only using a full 1 mm suit now (cold season) doing multiple dives a day. I also rank pretty high up on the cold wimp scale :D. Many of my coworkers are still diving in rashguards, 0.5/1 mm wetsuit tops, or dive skins and will continue to do so year round. You definitely wouldn't need anything thicker then a 3 mm full suit in Honduras, which really doesn't take up much room.

The 4th Element gear suggested by DevonDiver would also work very well (though is a little more expensive)! Their Thermocline line is very similar to UnderArmor cold gear if that helps you to picture what they are. I have worn dive skins and wetsuit tops as added thermal protection on land or on a boat when needed. They actually work very well and even offer a little bit of wind protection that a sweatshirt alone does not :D!

... how to deal with it (ship it/store it/carry it) once I'm done diving ...
Consider donating it. There's a good chance you'll find someone who it will fit and who has been helpful. Then the only remaining issue might be how to get it there.

We use wetsuits for multi day canyoneering trips in the desert South West. Exposure protection during the day, sleeping pad at night. In this use you have to spread the wetsuit out in a garbage bag so your sleeping bag doesn't get wet.

In your instance the wetsuit should be dry and you could put your sleeping bag on top of it, preferably with a light ensolite or thermarest pad.

I would think a 3 mill shorty or wetsuit jacket (with long sleeves) would work fine for you.

Consider donating it. There's a good chance you'll find someone who it will fit and who has been helpful. Then the only remaining issue might be how to get it there.

Excellent idea. I did some backpacking in Central America and THEN went to Utila and spent a month or so there, renting wetsuits the whole time. Before I left the mainland for Utila I donated some of the gear I had used while backpacking in the mountains, like a fleece jacket and boots, which I wouldn't have much use for on a tropical island. Either way, it wouldn't be worth the effort for me to lug around gear I'm not going to be using. Just ditch the unneeded gear, as surely there is someone in Central America who is not as fortunate as you and could really use it.

Why not buy one and then donate it to a DM you think was particularly helpful or something? You can buy a decent (not great) suit for <$100 that will provide you with a good experience and then you can pay it forward without breaking your wallet.

EDIT: Sorry, missed knotical's post suggesting this already...

I'm backpacking RTW and carrying a prescription mask and dive computer. I've found renting a dive computer in South and Central America very difficult, so consider adding one as well if you don't have one already. Honestly, I'd be more worried about that than the wetsuit.

I'm traveling with a 35l bag, and lucky I can fit the two things I have!

It's not very hard very pack all your equipment, wetsuit and such into one roller bag. I traveled across SE Asia on scuba diving backpacker trips with my 5mm wet suit doing the same :). For places like utilia it's handy to get a roller pack with a backpack suspension. Why not store your equipment in utilia when you finish your classes, travel, then return back to pick it up before heading home?

Back
Top Bottom