Backplate hole not aligned with harness - Bad design or bad user?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What make is the plate?
And did you buy the plate and harness as a package (i.e. from the same manufacturer), or are they separate purchases?

er designed the BP didn't test it/didn't do his homework. As others have said, you don't need to bolt the webbing down and it will work but it's a poorly designed plate. What b

Yep, spot on. I thought it was a simple enough item to be bought on aliexpress for cheap, looks like I was wrong (scuba gear is really overpriced here in Thailand)

I meant it’s new stiff webbing that is making it sit out like that. He has the plate, didn’t pay much for it so he may as well use it.

So what?

I may eat throught the webbing faster.
Yeah not sure how returns from Thailand to China would work - probably more hassle than the plate was worth (<40usd). To be fair I'm pretty sure the simple threat of a bad review would get me a full refund without having to even send the plate back, but I think I'll just keep it for now and see how it goes when the webbing is not as stiff.

Lesson learned. You pay peanuts you get monkeys!

Possible. There are people who have been diving for much longer than you and still dive like sea horses and kick up dirt whereever they go. 😆

****, I've been doing that wrong too! Sadly, I have been diving longer than 18 years. I bought my first BPW 18 years ago. The webbing is a little frayed, but I reckon it's got another 18 years left in it.

The webbing is a little frayed, but I reckon it's got another 18 years left in it.
Yeah, probably, 500-999 dives in over 18 years isn't very hard on a piece of webbing. Of course it's going to last many more years when it doesn't see much use.

I would like to respectfully disagree, if you look at the webbing as it leaves the bp it is straight up and not slightly outward to separate for the neck. If the grommet is bolted to the lowest hole slack is created on the inside of each slot allowing for the webbing to come out of the shoulder slots at a slight angle making it a bit more comfortable. I suspect that this is the intent on the design.

So what?

I may eat throught the webbing faster.
Right, in 20 to 25 years the webbing may fail.

the cost of returning will exceed the price of the item, he would be better off using it to cook on than wasting time and money trying to recover the money spent.

Right, in 20 to 25 years the webbing may fail.

the cost of returning will exceed the price of the item, he would be better off using it to cook on than wasting time and money trying to recover the money spent.
I said I'll work and I'd send it back because it'd annoy me.

A ****** BP that with sharp edges will eat much faster through webbing when you actually use it.

I said I'll work and I'd send it back because it'd annoy me.

A ****** BP that with sharp edges will eat much faster through webbing when you actually use it.
I wouldn’t likely ever thing about it again, it’s not perfect but probably not worth the effort of a return, as he said he may get a refund just by complaining and showing the pics then he ca; decide to use it or not.

The eyelet keeps the harness slightly away from sitting flat on to the backpack. Metal eyelet on metal backplate reduces friction and becomes "less" stable.
Thread the harness the other way so the grommet is in front of the plate. Maybe try that as see if it works better.
I always thought having the straps go out the back and over the top was goofy anyway. I’ve seen my share of chafed webbing right where it rubs on the plate because of that. Nobody ever fixed the problem of the webbing sitting awkward on those doubles plates especially when you run the straps straight over and not cross them. Originally the straps used to cross in back on those style plates but they got away from that and everyone runs them straight now, but they never changed the slot angle/placement to allow for that.
I did, but I’m weird.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom