backplate question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cra2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a new diver and the idea of seeking out the safest, simplest, most reliable, maintainable and cost-effective gear possible seems... well.. like common sense.

So, am I correct in understanding that a backplate/wing setup can be just as safe, comfy and efficient (if not more so) than a jacket-style BC? And yet is LESS expensive and EASIER to maintain?? Sign me up! lol.

Can you suggest any brands/models I should seek reviews and comparisons on? (I'm talking about general rec diving - single tank Al80, maybe Nitrox, anywhere from 5mm in springs/caverns to just a dive-skin in the Bahamas)

Technically, I guess this is simply a "Gear" question and could be asked in that forum, but I'm drawn to the DIR philosophy and would like to approach the gear choices from that perspective.
Hence, seeking advice from others with a similar outlook would seem the most productive. That's why I've posted here. (I'd do an archive search, but knowing what few brands/models meet those criteria first, will make a search possible)

Oh,... and YES, I'll get "the book".
And YES, I'll "sign up for DIR-F".
And YES, I understand that DIR is "not just about Gear".
And YES, I've paid my $3 DIR Forum Entry Fee.
And YES.....

cra2:
I'm a new diver and the idea of seeking out the safest, simplest, most reliable, maintainable and cost-effective gear possible seems... well.. like common sense.

So, am I correct in understanding that a backplate/wing setup can be just as safe, comfy and efficient (if not more so) than a jacket-style BC? And yet is LESS expensive and EASIER to maintain?? Sign me up! lol.

Can you suggest any brands/models I should seek reviews and comparisons on? (I'm talking about general rec diving - single tank Al80, maybe Nitrox, anywhere from 5mm in springs/caverns to just a dive-skin in the Bahamas)

Technically, I guess this is simply a "Gear" question and could be asked in that forum, but I'm drawn to the DIR philosophy and would like to approach the gear choices from that perspective.
Hence, seeking advice from others with a similar outlook would seem the most productive. That's why I've posted here. (I'd do an archive search, but knowing what few brands/models meet those criteria first, will make a search possible)

And YES.....

I would suggest you check this thread: "Comparison Backplate and Wing to Stab JacketBC" it could answer your question. I am also drawn some of the DIR philosophy, But after 30 years have a hard time beliving that the all rest of us are DIW.

Jim

cra2:

And YES.....

Does a BP/W rig always cost less than a Jacket BC - Of course not. Is a BP/W rig just as safe, comfy and efficient (if not more so) than a jacket-style BC? I believe so, and so do a lot of us.

I'm trying to understand the specific question. Looks like you're searching for names and models of BP/W rigs?

You'll get the usual suspects, Halcyon, Oxycheq, FredT and a host of others.

I'm a single tank rec weenie who dives DIR. Quite contrary to our category being completely ignored on the recent DIR 3-disc DVD, we are out there.

Personally, I dive the Halcyon Explorer wing with built-in STA. An SS plate, the ACB 20. Never a problem, fits like body armor and does what its supposed to.

You'll need to do a bit more research here and come in with a more specific question than "gimmie a roll call of some names of rigs" or you may need to put the helmet back on.

:D

K

to be totally honest, go shopping around, try what you can, and see what you like. Going with the DIR based gear, there really aren't huge differences cause it's pretty strict, so other then a bit of personal preference the changes aren't huge.

read through the DIR section, read through the buoyancy control device section, and whatever other gear you're interested in, and go try the stuff. Reading about it is all well and good, but ultimately you gotta try it to determine if it really works for you.

Plate's just a hunk of metal, harness webbing can be bought at a material shop, the wing is where it's at. Halcyon, Oxycheq, etc..... They're all going to perform similar enough for a new diver that I doubt it's much of a difference.

Cheapest? FredT plate, homemade harness (don't use Fred's d rings, they're not that good), wing of your choice. Will still probably approach the price of a medium quality BC., but (hopefully) the only thing you'll need to ever replace is the webbing (as I dive on my second Halcyon wing......)

You will probably also want different components, i.e., aluminum plate and smaller wing for warm water diving, steel and larger wing for cold. I have two plates, one wing.

Chris
Also a single tank rec weenie DIR style diver......

Dear CRA2,

If you are in the maret for a BP/W please consider our gear. Keep in mind that there is no reason our plate can't be rigged with a Hogarthian harness. Our wings offer some real advantages, and with the simple removal of the plastic pull on the over pressure valve, they are "DIR" compliant.

Regards,

ch

cool_hardware52:
Dear CRA2,

If you are in the maret for a BP/W please consider our gear. Keep in mind that there is no reason our plate can't be rigged with a Hogarthian harness. Our wings offer some real advantages, and with the simple removal of the plastic pull on the over pressure valve, they are "DIR" compliant.

Regards,

ch
Hmmm, let me see. Buy the backplate, remove the harness, pitch it along with the modular billy rings, the chest strap, re-rig it with an one piece harness, new D-rings, crotch strap. Then, buy the wing, scrap the corrugated tube, the pull dump, replace both. Now I am DIR rigged. Lots of ado over nothing.(tribute to WS). Can we say SPAM. :dazzler1:

cool_hardware52:
Dear CRA2,

Regards,

ch

Your rig looks er... stro ng li ke oak.

Commercial posts all over I see...

I recommend you consider a Single Tank Adapter (STA) to go with the harness and wing. Much better than pulling the straps through the wing and plate. If you're in a heavy wetsuit you should consider a weighted STA to reduce the weight on your belt. I love Halcyon as a company... and they now supply almost all my gear. They fix anything (not that much needs fixing) without any complaints. I have a friend who loves his OxyCheq.

ChrisM - not all plates are alike. I own a FredT and a DiveRite, and about the only similarity is that they're both metal and roughly shaped the same. For example, put a FredT, Koplin, and Halcyon plate wing-on-wing and you'll notice significant differences in the channel depth. When you mount it for singles, it matters. Personal preferences apply, of course ... but if you're used to diving one, diving another will take a little getting used to. Been there, done that.

Cool_Hardware - coming onto the DIR site and peddling non-DIR gear? Gotta admire the cajones, but I'm reasonably sure it's poor form, to say the least. Won't make many friends (or sales) like that.

jjsteffan - perhaps it's time to consider a different avatar. Since he posted right after you, he's obviously back.

D33ps1x - yeah, the place is starting to look a bit like Rodale's.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom