Backplate Shoulder Harness Slots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On some backplates, the shoulder strap slots are horizontal and on some they are angled slightly down from the inner edge to outer edge. My question is why the difference? On the angled slots, do the shoulder straps route slightly different up and over the body? In other words, is one a better choice over the other for people with broader or narrower shoulders?

On some backplates, the shoulder strap slots are horizontal and on some they are angled slightly down from the inner edge to outer edge. My question is why the difference? On the angled slots, do the shoulder straps route slightly different up and over the body? In other words, is one a better choice over the other for people with broader or narrower shoulders?
I have had both, never noticed any difference in wearing them.
Probably just how the manufacturer designed it.

I was just asking because I have pretty broad shoulders.

I don't think the angle vs straight on a backplate will cause a noticeable meaningful difference.

Some back-plates (some sidemount, freedom-plate) also have the attachment-points in the middle/spine area. The major difference I've noticed playing around with a number of different styles of backplates and harnesses that are radically different, is that how you adjust the harness changes. However, once it's adjusted correctly, you probably won't notice the difference.

It's hard to describe in precise terms, partially because of the number of various "weird" sidemount harness/backplate/etc systems I've tried (and a couple backplate ones). However, to provide an example, some setups work a little better if it sits lower on my back. I've also noticed for those systems that sit lower, a chest-strap is a little more useful. The crotch-strap also sometimes has to be adjusted a little different too (also hard to describe).

Watched a few YouTube videos on setting up the harness on the backplate and maybe I'm just having an OCD moment but why the f@#$& don't people just temporarily put a book screw through the dang grommet and plate while they're routing the harness? LOL, I just watched one guy say about 6 times "make sure your grommet hasn't moved and is still lined up with the backplate hole..."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom