BACKPLATES---History

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Mike. What I am looking for is the mask and fin models that were listed in that years catalog (1971). Below is the 1970 and 1972 listings. The asterisks indicate the first year the model was introduced. So... either a list of the models or a screen shot of the mask/fin pages would be a big help :D

Masks
Wrap-Around Professional
Pacifica
Atlantis
*Mini Pacifica
*Mini Atlantis
Aqua-Naut
Tahiti Deluxe
Naso
Equi-Purge
Equi-Rama
Champion Equi-Pressure
Champion Deluxe, Jr
Goggles
Aquatic Sr
Aquatic Jr
Calypso

Fins
Aqua-lung Professional
Aqua-Master
Otarie
Champion Hydromatic
Rocket
*Mini Rocket
Junior
Calypso

Masks

Fins

Masks
*Equi-Rama (first silicone mask)
Equi-Rama
Wrap-Around Professional
Pacifica
Atlantis
Naso
*Falco
Aqua-Naut
Tahiti Deluxe
Champion Equi-Pressure
Champion Deluxe, Jr
Mini Pacifica
Mini Atlantis
Goggles
Equi-Purge

Fins
Rocket
Mini Rocket
*Spoiler (open heel design)
Aqua-lung Professional
Aqua-Master
Otarie
*Aquarius (full foot design)

I was saddened when I went back to post #1 of this thread to read it again, just to learn and remember clearly what he posted there, and saw that Mr Miller has edited his post, and pulled his information.

It really does not matter what anyone else says, if you post the truth and stick to your guns, the truth remains for others to discover for themselves. Urban legends may be fun to pass along, but every once in a while someone is really interested in facts, and will explore a story a it further, and every crumb trail of facts is useful.

I was saddened when I went back to post #1 of this thread to read it again, just to learn and remember clearly what he posted there, and saw that Mr Miller has edited his post, and pulled his information.

It really does not matter what anyone else says, if you post the truth and stick to your guns, the truth remains for others to discover for themselves. Urban legends may be fun to pass along, but every once in a while someone is really interested in facts, and will explore a story a it further, and every crumb trail of facts is useful.

After reading your post I was disappointed to find the same thing. If not a thread on the histories of various pieces a gear, then why not a book. There is definitely a place on my shelf for a comprehensive book oabout scuba gear history and evolution.

Sam is the man period!Keep it comming Sam.Don't let a few fleas bother you.Dr.Miller was kind enough to send me copies of most of the diving articles he has written for dive mags over the years.This was quite a few years ago.I have a stack full.I cherish them dearly.There is so much info in them.It's amazing.There will always be someone to question you.Until they prove you wrong don't sweat it.I'm sure some people think we never went to the moon also.I know Sam would never say something he felt was untrue.We all makes mistakes.When I do someday maybe someone will let me know.Please keep the info comming Sam.Thank again,Mike.

Sam,

Thanks for the information.

I am particularly glad to see this information about the Seacraft back plate. A friend at my LDS gave me what must be an A320 a couple of month back. He got it with a tank from the 50’s and I think there was something else, but I can’t remember what it was.

I didn’t know anything about the history or actual fabrication date, but from the design I suspected it was that time period. The straps and buckles also looked form that time period. I am glad to confirm its history.

It is a perfect design for a double hose. It has a cut out for the regulator, but the straps are crossed to provide great control.

I got it just before Portage Quarry and got to try it there. The plate was great but I need to change the straps.

I will try to post some pictures when I get a chance.

I have thought about making a couple of reproductions to use with modern tank bands and maybe adapting it for a small wing BC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Luis,

Better check it for the "bullet holes"

They were-are- great "back plates." I used them for many years; double hose, single hose, and with several wings-but not with out certain modifications.

Should you need additional information; size, configuration etc of the A321, which I have 4, or a copy of the catalog page drop an e mail on me.

Did (does?) the A320 have 2 inch cotton or nylon webbing?
Did (does?) the A320 have the webbing crossing at the neck?
Do not be alarmed with the strap arrangement..very comfortable
Did (does?) The A320 have cast aluminum buckels with "Seacraft" in raised letters?

I have never seen one of these back plates on E bay nor have I seen one in OC for many years were they were so popular. I recall seeing them in the 50s, 60s and perhaps up into the 70s they were still visable in OC, now gone with the wind. I was beginning to think I had the last ones on earth
Maybe WE do have the last ones...

You may just may have the beginnings of a cottage industry producing vintage back plates..go for it!

SAM

Thanks Sam,

No… mine doesn’t have any bullet holes. :D

It does have the cast aluminum buckles with the raised "Seacraft" letters. BTW, I also have two weight belts with the same buckles. I have had the weigh belts for a couple of years.

The back late does have the webbing crossed behind the neck. It is very comfortable, but I need to adjust the straps.

I am not sure the material of the straps, but I think they are nylon. I will check it again when I get home… I am out of town for a few days.

I will send you an email… I would like to get a copy of the catalog page.

Thanks again.

Luis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom