Backscatter flat lens case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@jamesK have you got any videos to show all your tests Id like to see a comparison of the filters and housings youve made. Id like to see your results with the lights and filters and how the intova works against the magic filter and URpro CY as you say the Intova works best for you. If you have the new Backscatter too and have all the others id love to see a video comparison of these if you could do it.

I have the Occulus r5, eyeofmine single and 3d housing and the SRP Blurfix on a few housings too. The occulus is like all the other basic drop in lenses and I only got it for a comparison of the vignetting of that design type against the EOM and SRP version.

Out of those the SRP is by far my favourite and the EOM served me fairly well before but with no easy way of using filters and the plastic degrading over time I don't use it anymore. One of my friends just got a leak in his EOM 3d housing at around 2m and when tested its coming in from the glued together bit. And ive heard of a few other cases of this and so have lost confidence in that solution but the Blurfix has never caused me any issues with my max depth being about 40m with that setup.

I would love to be able to do just that. However, with the internet where I am at right now, Guantanamo Bay Cuba, it is worse than dial up speeds from the early 1990's! To view a three minute video on YouTube or Vimeo takes 30 minutes to load. Uploading is even worse. I will see if I can put something short together and upload it though. It takes almost two minutes just to load the home page here on Scubaboard. Your findings on the EOM ond SRP are about the same as mine. The SRP is a great housing IMO. I just like the ability of the new backscatter housing of being able to remove and change the filters under water. Something you really can't do with the SRP. I have not seen any leaking issues with any of these yet.

Ouch, considering my addiction to the internet, I'm very happy my only two times at MUGM included just enough time to drive to the galley for lunch.

I'm just back from a dive trip to Bonaire during which I shot my FIRST video with my GoPro Hero using the Backscatter flat lens housing. I was holding out trying to wait for GoPro's fix to come out, but didn't want to go on our dive trip without being able to shoot with the GoPro. After researching the alternatives, I decided to try the underwater fix offered by Backscatter. The reason I settled on their lens instead of one of the others was that it was appealing to me that they ship you the entire housing...it's not just the lens that you have to install yourself. This is coming from the viewpoint of a complete novice...I didn't want to risk getting it wrong.

During my research, this thread and similar ones were really helpful in helping me to decide what to try, so I wanted to offer some feedback in case it might be helpful to others. Before I post my video clip, I have to commend Backscatter on their customer service. I called to order the housing a week before our trip and they built the housing, tested it and got it shipped to me in time for our departure...thanks guys!

So here is a series of clips I shot in Bonaire using the new housing with a red (magic) filter. I tried to select a cross section of clips highlighting different criteria, such as depth, distance to subject, available light, etc. It just covers a range of different dives.

Please be gentle...I have no skills (yet) as a videographer, but you can see how awesome the housing is in different settings.

Great video!

At 2:10 and 6:19, the video turns very blue. What are the depths of those scenes?

I'm currently holding off for the GoPro solution, but if I can't put a filter on it too easily, you're video is very convincing to go the backscatter route.

Thanks!

Great video!

At 2:10 and 6:19, the video turns very blue. What are the depths of those scenes?

I'm currently holding off for the GoPro solution, but if I can't put a filter on it too easily, you're video is very convincing to go the backscatter route.

Thanks!

The segment at 2:10 was shot at about 75 to 80 feet. At that depth I was unable to get any color unless I was very close to the subject, and only if there was available light from the sun. The best results were at shallower depths, but when shooting deeper, close is a must if you want ANY color.

The segment at 6:19 is the Hilma Hooker wreck. I started at about 75 feet and swam up the ladder to around 65 feet. Again, when shooting at depth, distant shots are going to be blue...close is a must for color.

Hope this helps...

Thanks Cajun, good to know.

I've been curious about the limits of the filter. I guess down there large video lights are a plus...too bad they are so expensive =(

Thanks Cajun,

Nice video. Been monitoring these threads as well. Waiting for the GoPro option but looking at this one too. I have the EoM and like it, but want to be able to readily add a filter. Your color results are significantly better than were mine with no filter. Hope GoPro gets it out the door before May. 1st Quarter 2012 is coming quickly to a close!

Will

I don't know if it`s me but the quality of the video is blurry. I was expecting a better video quality from gopro so what was your camera setup?

Back
Top Bottom