Backscatter red flip filter in action (GoPro Dive Housing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looking forward to it.

so far I have started the gopro on the surface and one thing I have not tried is stopping the recording at depth, letting the sensor adjust as much as possible and restarting the recording to see if there is any difference in WB.

It is something I've noticed in the LCD screen of a typical dSLR, where turning on/off lights will show a change in WB in the display.

I have noticed this too. The other day I was in the pool with some open water students and had my gopro filming. Now this is a indoor pool that is 14 feet deep and I have seen the video come out green. Here is the video I shot.

Pool fun 7-14 open water students - YouTube

As you can see the first shot is nice and blue, but the second clip is green... I want to say it is because I stated recording with the camera looking down at the bottom of the pool where the light is at its lest amount and the WB adjusts for this...

Im going to do some tests out in the ocean at one spot with the camera starting looking at a subject, then starting the camera looking at the surface then moving to the same subject. Will put videos up when I have them.

looking forward to it.

so far I have started the gopro on the surface and one thing I have not tried is stopping the recording at depth, letting the sensor adjust as much as possible and restarting the recording to see if there is any difference in WB.

It is something I've noticed in the LCD screen of a typical dSLR, where turning on/off lights will show a change in WB in the display.

From what I have seen is that when you use the GoPro it doesnt make much difference if the camera is turned on at depth or is kept running throughout. If the light level changes then so will the WB, without a filter even on my last test dive at 10m the wb was either very green or very blue with not much colour info retained. a couple of times the wb was a little better around the 7m mark but from 3-5m without a filter most colour info is gone and its very hard to recover anything in post. It will be interesting to see how others find this but I think no matter what you do as soon as the lighting changes so will the auto wb.

Using a filter, I mostly just use the URPro filters atm I had 2 HD2 cameras running and the wb was pretty much the same on both throughout the entire dive test. Taking the filters off sometimes produced greenish video and sometimes blueish. Using lights adjusted the WB while the lights were on but once they were turned off the wb went back. This test I had 4 GoPro's running for the full dive but in the past I have tried turning them on and off and it hasn't made any noticeable difference. It will set wb to whatever the light level is at the time and if it changes it will also adjust the wb, not using filters gives very inconsistant results below about 4m and pretty poor colour overall by 7m, the filters do help out the wb quite a lot though and even if its not perfect they allow the camera to record much more colour info allowing for more scope adjusting wb in post.

I use a slate or other white object which I throw in the frame every time I notice the light change or my depth level changes by a few meters and then use colorista 2 plugin in premiere pro to correct the wb with the eye dropper on my white point. This works great when recording with a filter but when using a clear lens this method tends to just amplify noise in the red channel and so it cant be used most of the time.

The main reason I don't use my 3D gopro underwater housing much is because I haven't found a good way of using a premium quality filter with it. This makes WB between left and right sides fairly random and compared to shooting with a filter in my single housings the results are much worse colour wise and so I just don't use it as much as Id like.

I have found that even with a red filter, color on landscape shots is all blue/green at depths. But, if you get close to subjects there is more color captured and then you can filter out some of the blue/green in production. Some of the good tropical fish colors in this vid of mine was shot at 60-70 ft. It always helps to have very clear water and a sunny day, otherwise, adjusting to get the colors back is much more difficult. [video=youtube;HziLi0Axk1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HziLi0Axk1I&feature=plcp[/video]

This was shot at about 14m using the MagicFilter from Backscatter.

Natural light and no editing

[video=vimeo;44781581]https://vimeo.com/44781581[/video]

This was shot at about 14m using the MagicFilter from Backscatter.

Natural light and no editing

[video=vimeo;44781581]https://vimeo.com/44781581[/video]

Nice colors, Simon. The toilets at the end are hysterical.

am i right to say that you can use the lens cover that comes with the gopro dive housing if you have this filter attached?

the filter goes over the gp lens, hence the gp lens cover is too small

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom