Bad Bruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I posted this message already this morning when I became a new member, some responded that I should repost in the medical forum which I didn't know existed,Thanks for all your help!
I am a not to often diver lately, but after reading some of your threads I look forward to getting back to it.
I have one question, I hope it dosn't sound dumb, but here it goes...
Last week I took a spill on the dock where we keep our boat, with all the rain here in upstate NY we have had this year, the docks never seem to dry out, well anyways, I bruised the inside of my thigh badly, the bruise is about a foot long and about 8" wide and still very sore. I am concerned because my neighbor and I are suppose to dive this afternoon, and I am wondering if there could be any dangers with clotting and diving? or am I worried for nothing? I don't normally bruise
and this is a first. Thanks, and I'm glad I found this site!

aftershock:
I posted this message already this morning when I became a new member, some responded that I should repost in the medical forum which I didn't know existed,Thanks for all your help!
I am a not to often diver lately, but after reading some of your threads I look forward to getting back to it.
Last week I took a spill on the dock where we keep our boat, with all the rain here in upstate NY we have had this year, the docks never seem to dry out, well anyways, I bruised the inside of my thigh badly, the bruise is about a foot long and about 8" wide and still very sore. I am concerned because my neighbor and I are suppose to dive this afternoon, and I am wondering if there could be any dangers with clotting and diving? or am I worried for nothing? I don't normally bruise

Sorry to hear about the fall...

I can't help ya with the clotting issue, but wonder if you have any mobility impairment that you might need to consider before diving?

While I am no expert .... I bruise very easily and during my DM duties I often get beat up pretty badly. Right now I am sporting two huge patches on my thighs from leaning into the rails while pulling up the anchor lines. I don't think anything of them since the pooling is under the skin more than in the vessels. An expert might say something different but I'm in agreement with Scubasean that if it doesn't hurt your mobility don't worry about it.

aftershock:

I had a nasty spill on the ship last spring which ended up with me doing a split and coming down hard on the deck (trust me, I haven't thought of doing a split for over 25 years!) I pulled my hamstring really badly (couldn't walk very well for a couple of days). There wasn't much visable bruising though.

After a week or so, I was moving around better and checked in with the shipboard doc (a diver) and he said I'd be fine to dive....but that I might want to hand my gear up before climbing the ladder back onto the boat. Well, I did that....did two dives 90 foot and a 50 foot dive. I felt great during and after the dive....the second dive I even climbed up with my gear on with no issues. My leg felt so much better after the dive.

So, I'm back in my cabin and getting showered and changed to go back to work and notice the the entire back of my leg along my hamstring is black....so much so that I thought I sat in ink somehow.....but it wasn't ink....it was a bruise! The darkest, blackest bruise I'd ever seen on me. I checked in with the Doc again. His guess is that when I injured my hamstring, the bruising was internal to the muscle and the pressure of the water during the dive actually pushed it to the surface of my leg. Which is probably why my leg felt so much better.....all that bruise was moved out of the muscle. I was a bit dismayed to hear that this bruise was going to slide right down my leg....in fact I didn't believe him at first....but that's just what it did.

So, I guess this is tangential at best :) but diving with a bruise might actually help the bruise. Of course I'm not a Dr or anything.....that's just what happend for me.

Peace,
Cathie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom