bag help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new gear bag. I have one, an old IDI, which has integrated backpack staps, and a cheesy reg bag. It works, but I have to wash out all the compartments, reverse the fin bag, wash both sides, take out the staps, dry it out, reassemble, pain in the behind.

I want a bag that I can take the stuff out, spray it down, something that drys off quick, and is easy to clean. I saw a mesh bag recently, but it was a giant floppy duffel, with big round diver flags on each end. I prefer a simple rectangular bag with some structure and good handle. Wheels woul be nice, but I dont want corrosion problems.

Thanks all.

We use rectangular mesh bags with a plastic crate (used in groceries and markets) inside. Bungee cords are usually strung on top of the crate to keep everything in place. Really easy to clean but not the best for check-in airline baggage.

Whatever you get, make sure you get something with wheels.

I grabbed the Akona Roller Duffel and love it.

check out the triple l bags, i got one of those and love it..it's a rigid bag though, not good for boats, but for air travel i love it

I am confused on its purpose. Here is what I do.

For travel....since I use a bp and wing it goes in a computer bag and on board with me and my regs and computers. I put my masks and some other small stuff in a back pack so I am good to go if luggage gets lost because the other stuff is rentable and not a big deal

In my checked luggage goes my fins, pony and everything else.

I just use a regular suit case so not as to draw attention that it is dive gear. No dive symbols...logos....nothing to yell steal me.

The other thing I see here is maybe you want a bag for getting to the boat. Where I dive most...NC....you dont want to go rolling up to a boat with a big bag that doesnt fit under the seat. There is no room on a 12 pack for a bag like that. So I use an Armour Large mesh back with back straps.

So either way you can figure my suggestion.
rich

I do it same as you, RichinNC, in that I have distinctly different ways of packing gear for flying vs. carting to a boat or shore dive.

For hauling stuff to a boat I just use a 30" generic duffle bag with a nylon zipper. $20 at Target IIRC. Has to be 30" to fit my monster sized USD Blades fins, otherwise it would be a bit smaller, since I DON'T put my BCD into it. The BCD fits nicely on my shoulders, so that's how I carry it onto boats. The duffel bag folds up pretty small on a boat, since all that's left in it is the save-a-dive kit and a few other odds and ends.

When flying, most of my gear, including the duffle bag goes into a regular suitcase. If that suitcase gets overweight or too full, then I'll just pull out the duffle bag and transfer into it the relatively indestrucible stuff like wetsuits, fins, and clothing.

When diving from home, the car trunk is protected by throwing the wet gear, often still in the gearbag, into a couple 58 quart plastic containers. When using rental cars, well ..... I try to keep things dry but for the sake of the next renter I hope they leave the car trunk open for a while. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom