Bahia de Los Angeles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZTinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recently returned from a week of diving at Bahia de Los Angeles, Baja California Norte. The water tends to be green in the summer with plankton. It wasn't great for photography and limited visibility, but it did keep the whale sharks well-fed. It was an enjoyable trip.

-AZTinman

DSC_9576.jpg

DSC_9574.jpg

DSC_9535.jpg

DSC_9409.jpg

DSC_9450.jpg

DSC_9391.jpg

DSC_9431.jpg

Download Files_363.jpg

Been there done that many times ! We always enjoyed the "Bay"

Sorry to hears of the poor visibility - but you evidently obtained some great well posed, well lit subjects

Especially enjoyed the dolphins in the boats wake !

Was the local dive shop open?

Sam Miller, III

Ricardo's Dive Shop is the only dive shop that I know of in Bahia de Los Angeles and yes, the shop was open. One of the members of our group has a business relationship with Ricardo. We actually delivered fresh air filters for the tank refill compressor. Most of the air tanks we used had inspection stickers from a Phoenix area dive shop. We used Ricardo's pangas to access dive sites.

Visibility tends to be a seasonal thing. I'd love to go back in late-September or early-October when the waters in the Gulf of California clear. There was no shortage of underwater subjects. We were disappointed not to encounter any whales during our trip. Ricardo posted some video of a pod of orcas that showed-up shortly after we returned to Arizona. The channels throughout the Midriff Islands funnel a lot of marine wildlife through the area. Even with reduced visibility, the diving was good.

Lea - Photo of Phil.jpg

A day at the office in Bahia de Los Angeles.

-AZTinman

I have kayaked and snorkeled/spearfished in L.A. Bay, but never scuba dived. Looks pretty good. Love the dolphins.

Ricardo's wife was the city librarian.- I can no longer call her name - My dear wife, who was a college president, managed to acquire a large quantity of Spanish language books and sneak them into Baja for their library.

I recall when Ricardo opened his shop om the hill next to his home - Is it still on the hill? he gave me a T shirt - which I seldom if ever wear t shirts - but still have it ---some where???

So many memories
SDM

Ricardo has a nice shop facility on the main road that goes into town right after the roundabout with the sails sculpture. This facility has the shop and a covered storage and maintenance area for his pangas. The yard is fenced and has a huge sign.

It's worth noting that the Mexican government declared the Bahia de Los Angeles area a national park (marine biosphere designation) in 2007. Seven years prior to the designation, the majority of the Bahia de Los Angeles community began an effort to have the area declared a national park. This was a major decision for what was basically a fishing village. Community members realized that continued commercial fishing was unsustainable and the community needed to shift to an ecotourism type economy. The community also wanted to avoid heavy commercial development and have the economy based on locally managed small businesses. The economic shift hasn't been easy.

Bahia de Los Angeles is a long ways from anywhere. Unless one has access to a private airplane, getting there involves a one way road trip in the neighborhood of 400 miles. Commercial fishing vessels, often from foreign countries, show-up on occasion and engage in poaching. Of course, Mexican poachers, particularly those interested in totoabo, are active in the biosphere.

The only way for the area to maintain its conservation-based economy is for visitors to show-up to engage in activities like diving, snorkeling, sport fishing and kayaking. The area is an amazing place and worth the trip.

-AZTinman
Download Files_8.jpg

Ricardo's Diving Tours

Download Files_89.jpg

Night Sky over Bahia de Los Angeles

Did a 4x4 camping caravan to Bahia de L.A. at least a decade ago with a bunch of couples/buddies out of Phoenix and had one of the greatest times ever. Very remote. At the time there were small, primitive casas on the beach to stay in cheap. Each was equipped with a propane powered refrigerator for beer and food and oil lamps. The bed was whatever was under your feet. The bay was spectacular and we gave up moving along and stayed right where we were and never wanted to leave. I'm sure things have changed, but if I was in the southwest I'd pack the truck and head back in a heartbeat. I'm glad to see this post.

Odds are pretty good that the casas on the beach are still there unless one of the hurricanes since then wiped them out. Prior to 2007, Bahia de Los Angeles was not connected to electrical power. Locals told me there was one generator in the village. Many of the businesses outside of the village are still 'off-grid'.

Back
Top Bottom