Trip Report Pictures: Sea of Cortez off the Rocio Del Mar Liveaboard - September 10, 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it a challenge to get focus distance with the Hero and the macro lens?

Are you or Lisa taking those pics?

Short answer: Yes, no, it depends. Why the ambiguity? These are snapshots from video, so it’s very possible to hit the ideal focal depth for a single pic. You can extract 24.7 megapixel pictures with the new Hero 11, so it just gets better.

Long answer: Years ago we bought a FLIP 3.1 Package from BackScatter that came with +10 Close Up and +15 Macro lenses. My wife was doing ALL the Canon camera stills and GoPro video at the time and she found these lenses somewhat tedious, so they were stowed away. Five years ago she informed me that if I wanted any future video it was MY responsibility. Late last year I unearthed the lenses and took them to Bonaire with mixed results. The +15 was challenging, but since you are taking video the camera position can be moved fore and aft in an attempt of finding the sweet spot (see link for pics). I say “was” because the vacuum seal between the two lenses of the +15 assembly failed mid trip and the lens fogged. I would’ve liked to have done more experimentation. However, the focal depth with the +10 is much more forgiving because it has considerably less magnification and after 100 plus dives with it I intuitively know where to place the camera.

Thank you! Everything was extracted from video using a GoPro Hero 6, 2X BigBlue 4000P video lights and a BackScatter 10X flip lens (no red filter). Regrettably the warranty replacement for our Hero 9 arrived a few days after we left for Phoenix, however, GoPro customer service was excellent.

Fortunately the water temperature returned to normal at 84 degrees with the northern sites running a little cooler. I was wearing my @MAKO Spearguns 3mm and was comfortable the entire week. We ran into a few thermals, but they actually felt refreshing. Again, we are sorry your trip did not go off as planned.
Glad you like the suit! The pics are awesome!

dano

Wow!! I wish I was on that trip. Oh wait... I WAS! Thanks for the fantastic pictures and for being so dedicated at taking them.

Photographic evidence you were actually there! The video of this encounter is pretty amazing.

52650A1A-B762-43E1-996D-83BBD50BD507.jpeg

Thanks! Five of those pics (seahorse, nudibranch, lobster and giant jaw fish) were taken with a BackScatter 10X Close Up Lens, so not quite macro shots. All of them were quickly color corrected in the Apple Photo app on my iPad on the plane trip home. An actual underwater photographer may get a good laugh at the guy sporting the tiny GoPro rig, but I’m ecstatic with the results and it’s stupid simple. There was an individual on the same liveaboard with a camera setup that (literally) cost more than a new BMW! Our rig was less than a thousand bucks. Stating the obvious here, but the video lights are the most critical component for usable closeups.

I was seriously looking into the Paralenz a while back. How do you like it? Do you use a tray or mount it to your mask? I’m a loyal GoPro user at this point. They just sent me a new Hero 9 replacement even though mine was a few months out of warranty. I’m really impressed with GoPro customer service and the product to the extent I bought the new Hero 11 last night.

I’m working on a thorough answer describing my experience(s) and usage of the flip lenses, so it will have to be in a separate post.
I bought a paralenz and to be honest I wish I hadn’t. It might just be inability with it, but I find the footage stutters, and when you go below 25m ish the over colour correction is a bit of a nuisance. I’d definitely stick to what you are using as the images are first class. All the best, Kris

I bought a paralenz and to be honest I wish I hadn’t. It might just be inability with it, but I find the footage stutters, and when you go below 25m ish the over colour correction is a bit of a nuisance. I’d definitely stick to what you are using as the images are first class. All the best, Kris

Sorry you’re not getting the desired results from your camera. Stuttering footage is a concern, but it may be a playback buffering issue (you’re probably already aware), but have you tried a secondary playback engine on an updated device?

However, the “Automatic Depth Controled Color Correction” is a whole other kettle of fish. Seems like an unwelcome feature to me (not being judgmental). Do you use video lights with your Paralenz? Apparently this wreaks havoc on the automatic color correction, so they instruct the user to turn the correction OFF before using video lights. This additional step seems somewhat tedious and could possibly result in missed shots, but I’ve never used one, so what do I know... Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom