Sea of Cortez liveaboard: northern or southern itinerary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VcRossi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,
I've done some research in the forums, but still have no idea on what to choose for my next trip to Baja. I have very limited experience there: an underwhelming 2 tank dive in Cabo San Lucas, 2 great dives with the sea lions and 2 great snorkels with the whale sharks in La Paz, and good 2 tank dive in Loreto (was supposed to dive there for 3 days, but the other 2 days got cancelled due to strong winds). This was all back in January, not the greatest time to dive there. I have almost 100 dives total, and am comfortable with currents.
I happen to have 7-10 days off at the end of August/early September, and am considering either a week of diving in Loreto, a week in Cabo Pulmo, or a 8D/7N liveaboard in the Sea of Cortez.
Given the time of the year, I'd like to hear some advice on what the best choice is if I choose the liveaboard: midriffs (quino el guardian) or the southern itinerary (nautilus belle amie)? Whale sharks seem guaranteed in the northern itinerary. How about likelihood of other sharks? In the south it seems it's hit or miss with the hammerheads in El Bajo and, and I believe it's too early for whale sharks around La Paz. I would love to see the schooling mobula rays, but I think it's too late in the year for that. Sea lions will happen on either itinerary, and dolphins if I'm lucky. But how about the rest of the dives? Besides the large animals, I'm very unclear which itinerary is a more appealing combo overall. I'm also not sure if hurricane chances are more likely on north, south, or either.
I don't mind the chilly water temps of the north, and don't care for luxury on the boat. I just want the dives to be great!
Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance!

I think the question here is north or south. I'd like to know too as I'm considering the same.

I cannot speak to diving in the south, but I have been on the Midriff Islands itinerary on the sister boat to Quino El Guardian; the Rocio del Mar. I absolutely loved this itinerary and the bio-diversity and I will go back. I don't think you could go wrong with a week in Loreto either. Best dive operator there is Blue Nation, I read recently that they are selling the business, so you should check to see if they are still operating.
Here is my trip report: Trip Report - Sea of Cortez on Rocio del Mar, September 2022

Thanks for the replies. I did read your report and a couple of others before @Trailboss123 , and am leaning towards the northern itinerary. The reports are generally positive. Also, I wasn't aware of Nautilus' suits against the clients that @wetb4igetinthewater brought up, and this is the only boat with availability for my dates on the southern itinerary.
Such a bummer Blue Nation is selling their business. I dove with them in January and loved their operation.

I cannot speak to diving in the south, but I have been on the Midriff Islands itinerary on the sister boat to Quino El Guardian; the Rocio del Mar. I absolutely loved this itinerary and the bio-diversity and I will go back. I don't think you could go wrong with a week in Loreto either. Best dive operator there is Blue Nation, I read recently that they are selling the business, so you should check to see if they are still operating.
Here is my trip report: Trip Report - Sea of Cortez on Rocio del Mar, September 2022
Hi @Trailboss123 and @VcRossi!! Its good to see you☺️☺️☺️
We are still running the shop and in good health haha
We are developing other projects locally, some of them diving related, and are considering just a slight shift of paths, but we will remain in Loreto.
We dont know when or if we will end up selling but in any case we will be making sure Blue Nation carries on. Until them, we will happily run it and dive as usual !

Did a trip from La Paz to Bahia de Los Angeles and I thought the diving was better in the south. Snorkeling with the whale sharks at Bay of LA was fun hough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom