Nautilus "Ultimate Whale Shark" Sea of Cortez trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattfish

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy y"all!

I've wanted to dive the Sea of Cortez for a long time, and I came across this trip with Nautilus. It sounds amazing, and I really like that they take you fairly far up the Baja peninsula. I was wondering if anyone here has done this trip, and has any info/thoughts to share about it.

I did a similar trip in 2022 though it wasnt billed as a whale shark specific. It was a lot of fun.

The diving was much better down south (better vis, more dramatic topography). I will say the guiding could have been much better. The divemasters were often happy to "park" the group on a section of reef and rarely did any exploring. They were very concerned about currents which made no sense to me as there were chase boats following us and picking us up.

The whale sharks were abundant at Bahia de Los Angeles. It's snorkel only and ~10' vis but you get plenty of water time and the sharks don't seem to mind swimmers. It didn't compare to scuba diving with giant whale sharks in Galapagos but it was a great experience nonetheless.

We stopped to freedive with a pod of pilot whales on the way back, which were very cool to see.

The boat and crew were great aside from the guiding issue.

Thanks @Still Kicking !

I've gone ahead and booked the July 27th trip on the Belle Amie. I'll be sure to post a trip report.

@Knockneed Man be sure to post here if you end up going too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom