Gray whale encounters: Puerto Chale vs Puerto San Carlos (and La Paz scuba operator question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfwolf1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
3 friends and I are planning to go to La Paz March 5 to 9. The itinerary would be:

March 6: Snorkel with whale sharks in La Paz in the morning and then scuba with the sea lions of Espiritu Santo in the afternoon (or vice versa).

March 7: More scuba

March 8: Gray whale watching to see mothers and calves and hopefully have a close encounter with them

I've done the whale sharks before, and I've also dived in Espiritu Santo before, both back in December 2021. I've never seen the gray whales, and it will be the first time for all these activities for the other guys. One other guy and I are avid divers--he's rescue, I'm AOW. One guy is OW certified but hasn't dived in 20 years, but can get a refresher course. The 4th guy has never dived before, but he and I are going to Moorea in early October and he's going to try a Discover Scuba there. If he likes it, the plan is to get him certified before this trip.

Looking at places to see the gray whales, it looks like our primary options are Puerto Chale and Puerto San Carlos. Puerto Chale is significantly closer and can be done as a day trip from La Paz. Puerto San Carlos would definitely require an overnight so less convenient. But it seems like Puerto San Carlos is the more "established" whale viewing spot. I know this is a diving site, but I wonder if anybody has experience with both locations and can weigh in on quality of each. If Puerto Chale is more or less "as good" as Puerto San Carlos, that would be an easy choice.

Secondarily, can anybody recommend a tour operator that combines whale shark snorkeling with Espiritu Santo diving in the same day? And if for some reason my buddy decides not to get certified, can he snorkel with the sea lions while the rest of us dive?

Finally, is there good diving that time of year outside of Espiritu Santo that's appropriate for new divers?

Thanks in advance for the input!

In response to one of your questions re La Paz, it seems like it would be fine to combine scuba & snorkeling at los Islotes (the sea lion colony). And I seem to remember that various operators offered a combo of whale shark snorkeling and diving with the sea lions at los Islotes, but I cant recommend any as I didnt do a combo trip.
As you may remember, its about a 90 min boat trip from the dock to los Islotes.

Back
Top Bottom