Balance bladder issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shhya1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Seaquest Balance that I"m having a strange situation happening. When I have a small amount of air in the bladder, I cant find a balance point. It either wants to make me float to one side or the other. I can literally hear the air bubble from one side to the other(sounds like a gurgle sound). It wont even out and let me swim face down. I've blown up the bladder completely to make sure there wasnt any inflation issues. I dont carry more than a few puffs of air but this drives me crazy. Its great when I'm floating past a reef and need to look to the side but looking down becomes a struggle of fighting the balance point. With a neutral or slightly heads up position, I should be able to balance nice and flat! Any ideas on this!!!

How long have you been diving a back inflation system? How long have you been diving in your Balance? Air balancing itself in a horseshoe style wing (as with the Balance) can be tricky but not impossible. Although I use a donut wing when diving singles, I dive a horseshow wing when doing doubles. In a horizontal position, I would try to lean toward the side which I felt having more air. This way, the other side (with less air) will be on the closes to the surface where the air will shift. I will GUESS-timate a bit and lean back. Will do this back and forth a bit till I get a balance.

At first I found it a bit annoying having to do that but as I got so used to diving in them, I just do them instinctly.....................

Hope this helps.

Ive got about 40 or so dives with this BC(diving wet). When I dive my drysuit its not an issue because I dont inflate it under water. I've allways noticed this gurgling sound and the flip/flopping of the air even from the first time I used it. I use very little air in the bladder so I guess the top of it collapses and makes it hard for the air to transfer. I dont know...I would think that with a slightly heads up position it would even out but I guess not. So much for living up to it's name..I cant balance with this thing to save my life!!

Is the upper channel being pressed by the first stage or hose?

In which ever position, the air is suppose to find its way to the part of the wing closes to the surface.

I never thought about something pressing on the top of the bladder. I dont think this is the case. Is it possible that the bladder may be constructed differantly on one side. I should inflate it fuller and see if it floats me level.

I have the sister BC to this one called the Libra. I have never had this problem. Are you using the trim pouches to balance out your weight?

I'll second the notion of the trim pouches, if you're too head down, then the air can't transfer. I have the Balance, and can get it to equalize by rolling if I have a problem, but that is rare with the rolling that you mention.

I just noticed that when I inflate this BC the bladder has a "kink" right at the top running vertically. I think the bladder may be sown incorrectly. I'm gonna go check it out at the shop when I get a chance. I wonder if they will do anything about this?

shhya--That would be your basic "manufacturer's defect". (It would sure explain your Balance's imbalance.) I'll bet your dealer could get authorization to give you another one and they could get a credit from Aqua-Lung. Uh, in a perfect world anyway...You might ask them to contact the rep instead of just telling you to send it back to A-L. When you get one made right you'll like the bc! //ww

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom