Question Balanced v unbalanced Inline adjustment tool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCrecdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking around for tools needed for DIY servicing of HOG and DR regulators. What's the practical difference between using a balanced v unbalanced Inline adjustment tool? Is balanced worth the higher price tag for the occasional servicing of my own gear?

Had no clue about having balanced AND unbalanced adjustment tool, are they not referring to balanced and unbalanced second stages? you may post some images about what different tools you mean...
BTW from my ignorance, anyway an adjustment tool is modifying the flow it would make your adjustment wrong when you remove it, unless you dive with it :D

Looking around for tools needed for DIY servicing of HOG and DR regulators. What's the practical difference between using a balanced v unbalanced Inline adjustment tool? Is balanced worth the higher price tag for the occasional servicing of my own gear?

Can you post links to these two different types you mention please?

Unbalanced:

Balanced:

"Please note that this adjuster is not air-balanced, therefore their operation is a little less smooth than their balanced counterparts." 🤔

I've got the first one you mention above and am happy with it, but makes you able to adjust only a slotted drive. Some second stages have hex screw so you might be screwed with the first one, but I personnally like having the IP gauge on it, even if you can have it separated... The second one is probably prettier, but dont see any other advantage than having both hex and french screw
1674565894799.png

"Please note that this adjuster is not air-balanced, therefore their operation is a little less smooth than their balanced counterparts." 🤔
my experience is you have to push the knob to adjust, but nothing terrible on that... depending if its for your use or if you plan to do 20/day... if you like pretty and awesome tools, I'd probably buy the other, but nothing worthing the price difference for me doing a few regs/year

I've got the first one you mention above and am happy with it, but makes you able to adjust only a slotted drive. Some second stages have hex screw so you might be screwed with the first one, but I personnally like having the IP gauge on it, even if you can have it separated... The second one is probably prettier, but dont see any other advantage than having both hex and french screw
View attachment 765977
A gauge can be added to it...

Pressure pushes the shaft out unless you hold it in. Whether that's a problem will be up to the user....

With the assembly pressurized, turn the knob whilst advancing the shaft towards the
orifice in order to line up and engage the slotted or hex side with the orifice. Make
the necessary adjustment as per manufacturers recommendations. Note that you

will push and adjust against the pressure, which is a little 'though'. This is perfectly
normal due to the nature of an unbalanced in-line orifice adjuster design. Once you
release the pressure on the knob/shaft assembly, the shaft will disengage from the
orifice and be pushed backwards, This is perfectly normal and inherent to
unbalanced in-line orifice adjustment tools.

balanced is much easier/smoother for "fine adjustment" as the adjuster can be moved freely.

I prefer the balanced. I do carry a non-balanced (compact w/o gauge) in my save a dive, but use the balanced at my bench.

I've never seen the value (though I have one) for one with the gauge on the adjuster. An IP checker on the LPI hose is easier. For the bench, a large independent gauge has it's value.

Back
Top Bottom