Bali and Scuba Serya Trip report, Chapter One

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Cawabunga people! Bali is so inexpensive and luxurious. Diving was really excellent and the Indonesian staffers out of this world. My images still suck, but at least I have an excuse now. It seems my camera is stuck on shutter priority or some weirdness. I still shot and got some good ones but something is funky with the camera.

Just a few for tonight as I am excited to check in and give enthusiastic applause to the Tulamben and Ubud areas......

The Bali bombings have really hurt their tourism. I felt very safe and we were subjected to the best security at the airport in Bali I have ever experienced. ---And they were friendly and considerate about it. AND organized!! Kudos to them. Every seam in out clothes were checked and every single person had the most thorough check I have ever witnessed. Felt like they were doing it right. Prices are unbelievable. We had a villa that Dennis recommended in Ubud with a private pool for about 120 a night. The place would have been 800 in most places.

Scubab Serya very terrific also. The volcano in the background looked so cool and it seems that their was a brush fire burning at the top so it apeared to be active and made for nice pics!

DSC_0081-1.jpg

DSC_01391-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0112-1-1.jpg

DSC_0161-1.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0035-1.jpg

DSC_00871-1.jpg

Beautiful!!

The pictures are nice too ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob. What an incredible place---everywhere you looked, your eyes could not drink it all up fast enough. Entire families on mopeds. Women sitting sidesaddle, newborns, etc. Everybody blessing everything with incense and flowers. I just thought it was so incredible and the rice paddies were like out of a dream. The dive guides do so much for you, I felt a bit funny about it at times. Hope we tipped them well they deserved every dollar.

There sure was a lot of discussion about the bombings. I kept thinking "did I miss something, that was five years ago...?" It really hurt them. The locals say the bombers came in to Kuta from Jafar (Java) and that the Muslims who travel in to Hindu Bali get really close scrutiny by the locals now. They have some resentment of course that outsiders caused them such a devastating hit to their peaceful reputations and economy. We felt safer than most places in the Caribbean where I lived for eight years...(Certainly safer than Iraq!) Our driver actually told us that the Indonesian police caught the same guys trying to make another bomb in Jakarta and shot them.

The reefs looked almost overgrown with soft coral, tube sponges and juvenile fish. Tulamben region looked very healthy to us. Lots of fishing going on but we did not see much marine debris like monofilament the way we do here in Hawaii. The viz was so-so, maybe 40 ft most days but we survived by shooting macro and trying to aquire a taste for exotic nudibranchs and various "low life forms"! JB chuckled that a shark swam by and all the muck diving macro dorks barely looked up from their spots dug in shooting ribbon eels. Ah...the RIBBON EELS! Now, I liked those. Easy subjects for fledgling macro shooters like me. Flashy and cooperative. I actually had the time to play with my settings. Being above 100 feet is helpful too! Too bad I cannot make the photo course....such is life. I think they picked an ideal location!

DSCF0068-2.jpg

wish I could have gotten a good one of the juvenile emporer....very unique looking fish! they are pretty skittish flitting around and I was TRYING to shoot manual.

DSC_0096-2.jpg

my favorite fish...What is it?
DSC_0197.jpg

Amazing photos, Catherine! I'm glad you're having a good time. :)

home now! JB putting me on a work out routine pronto. Fun's over.

KIds alive too! Evidently no wild parties. Son is on crutches, but alive.

Ooh, Catherine, I'm so jealous! We were there 3 years ago, and it's absolutely fabulous and gorgeous, isn't it?!! Love your pictures! :D

Welcome home.

Your photos really show the feel of the place.

And you not only saw but have a photo of a ribbon eel! Great shots!

Great photos Catherine! I was at Scuba Seraya a few months ago and loved it - and now seeing your photos I can't wait to go back. I miss the friendly balinese and their wonderful culture. Keep the the photos coming...

Cheers,
Rohan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom