Ban mini lobster season.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to have opened a can of worms. I've been in the Keys when mini lobster season starts. People are coming down the 18 mile stretch hauling boats that more than likely have not been on the road for at least a year. There is always a huge traffic jam and at least a few very bad accidents, if not a few fatalities. I'll tell you what really got me going. The other night, I am visiting with friends.....none of them are divers. They routinely use a spare air to stay down longer when looking for bugs. As much as I objected, they didn't see the danger in doing this. Is this being over cautious......you bet your #@$ it is!!!!! I even ate one of their spiney lobsters last night. I really don't think that they are worth all the fuss. Calm down, guys.....the first two days are not the only time you can bag your precious lobster. Be safe, be safe, be safe.................

Did I say, be safe!!!!!

SWT

I'd go the other way.

Ban commercial bug fishing for 3 years, with the sales of recreational stamps providing funds to pay the commercial lobstermen what they claimed on their income taxes as profit from lobstering for the previous 3 years.

Increase the size limit on the bugs by 1/4" per year.

This eliminates the "rodeo" effect, while allowing the bugs to recover and re-establish breeding populations.

As to the mini-season deaths, it's simply natural selection at work.

In our species STUPIDITY IS SUPPOSED TO BE FATAL!

FT

saltwater taffy
Calm down, guys.....

Kinda think you might follow your own advice

If you eliminate Monday from the week you still have 6 other days in the week to die on...the date may be different but the outcome is the same

On average, 8 people are killed everyday in car crashes in the state of Florida. That means about 16 people died on Florida highways during mini-season.

Using your logic, the insane practice or driving should be banned.

According to the CDC, during the 10 year period from 1983-1993, deaths caused by medication errors committed by Doctors increased 8.5 fold.

The insane practice of going to the Doctor should be banned.

You have a higher chance of dying from rabies after being bitten by a rabid squirrel in New York City's Central Park than dying from a SCUBA related accident.

You have a higher chance of dying from rabies after being bitten by a rabid squirrel in New York City's Central Park than dying from a SCUBA related accident
That means when you come to NY stay the heck out of Central Park, and get out on one of our great dive boats!

saltwater taffy:
If the tragedy of the 14 year old is related to the lobster season, isn't it time to take a very serious look at banning this insane practice.

It wasn't. The father and son were not lobster hunting. In fact, this has been the first mini season in my memory that someone hasn't died.

Marc

saltwater taffy:
It's the same story every year. At the stroke midnight on mini lobster season, boats and divers go out in the search of their limit of spiney lobster before the commercial fishermen have a go at it. If the tragedy of the 14 year old is related to the lobster season, isn't it time to take a very serious look at banning this insane practice. I doubt that this will ever happen......big bucks are made by the local economy during those two days.

Just my 2 cents worth. Whar are yours????

Be safe out there!!!!

SWT

WHAT IS THIS POST DOING IN THE ACCIDENT FORUM ANYWAY??

sharpenu:
You have a higher chance of dying from rabies after being bitten by a rabid squirrel in New York City's Central Park than dying from a SCUBA related accident.

That's pretty slim odds, considering squirrels don't carry rabies.

Upstate NY has a bit of a problem with rabies now though. Seems since the leg hold trap ban the tree huggers in NYC pushed through a few years ago the 'coons populations have exploded. 'Coons can carry rabies for over 3 years without it killing them. Lots of folks up that way getting the the full shot "treatment" now. I wonder if the suffering of those kids counts?

FT

RichLockyer:
The publicity over the mini-season is one thing that creates such a big draw.
California handles it a bit differently...

Opening night is midnight of the Saturday of the first weekend in October (meaning you might board your boat on September 29th and season might actually open on September 30).
Commercial operations are allowed to begin the following Wednesday, so we DO get a slight jump... and opening night boats are always packed, but there's not a lot of PR about it being a "mini season".
It's the Saturday before the FIRST WEDNESDAY in October. That's why it can start in September in some years. Commercial season starts on the first Wednesday in October. Opening day this year is October 2nd for the public. It's definitely a little more mellow out here though, and our Lobters are BIGGER! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom