Question Bangka Island help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g.016

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! Will need some advise on planning my trip to Bangka end Dec - has anyone been there late Dec/early Jan annd can share how the vis and sea temperature is like during that time! And is it constantly raining! Also, how is the current as I’m a relatively new diver! Any tips would be really helpful! 🙏

At the moment the weather is still exceptionally pleasant for this time of the year. But most of the years we expect strong winds from the Northwest. You might take this into consideration to decide at which resort to stay at Bangka.
And indeed, according to the statistics, more rain the end of December and January. However, since we are situated at Lembeh Strait this does not affect the fun of the diving much for our guests.

As a relatively new diver, why are you going to the Banka Islands when there are so many other options in Indonesia. It's a fairly remote location. In this same area, you could dive the Manado area itself...Bunaken National Park. No need to head north to the Bankas. You may also want to Google "Banka Islands salt water crocodiles"!!!

As a relatively new diver, why are you going to the Banka Islands when there are so many other options in Indonesia. It's a fairly remote location. In this same area, you could dive the Manado area itself...Bunaken National Park. No need to head north to the Bankas. You may also want to Google "Banka Islands salt water crocodiles"!!!
How many times you have been to Banka Islands?
It is a far better choice than the crappy diving sites out from Phuket.
Can you give any reason why it is not suitable to new diver?

Dude, your information is really just a mess. Let's start here: There are several Bangka islands in Indonesia. The one everyone goes to dive is north of Manado. I circled the area in blue. The Bangka Island with crocodile hype is just to the west of Belitung Island. No one goes there to dive, but the beaches are quite nice. I circled it in red. They are about 3000 km apart.

FWIW:
1. Before Indonesia, I called Florida home. In the last ten years about 100 people were killed by far less aggro North American alligators. Somehow we manage.

2. You may want to rethink living in Phuket as Dog attacks are a serious business in Thaliand. You may also want to google that. (Sarcasm)

Attachments

• indonesia.jpg
    indonesia.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 61
No one should take @JonnieB seriously.
He/She has been saying on several occasions that he/she prefers to use small locally owned/managed operator. But works for a 5* PADI IDC centre in Phuket. Founder of that place is Thein, a refugee(boat people) from Vietnam and eventually settled in USA via Malaysia. Mr Thein is definitely NOT a Thai.

I think you are thinking of Bangka, Sumatra. Not Bangka, North Sulawesi.

I think you are thinking of Bangka, Sumatra. Not Bangka, North Sulawesi.
My bad in this case...but salties are endemic throughout Indonesia. One washed up on Kuta Beach, Bali, recently. They've also been photographed near the Gili islands off Lombok. Won't stop me from diving Indonesia though :)

Dude, your information is really just a mess. Let's start here: There are several Bangka islands in Indonesia. The one everyone goes to dive is north of Manado. I circled the area in blue. The Bangka Island with crocodile hype is just to the west of Belitung Island. No one goes there to dive, but the beaches are quite nice. I circled it in red. They are about 3000 km apart.

FWIW:
1. Before Indonesia, I called Florida home. In the last ten years about 100 people were killed by far less aggro North American alligators. Somehow we manage.

2. You may want to rethink living in Phuket as Dog attacks are a serious business in Thaliand. You may also want to google that. (Sarcasm)
Actually they're not...over 20 years in Thailand and not even a nip; only friendly licks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom