Battery life Sea & Sea DX 2G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

la_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Battery of my 2g last about 70 pictures or one dive. Have to change battery during si. I dont't like to open camera between dives. Am shooting jpeg. Can camera be set to conserve battery other than shutting off after a set time. Have been accustomed to my 8000 which would take 140+ pictures on a single charge. Tried a new battery, no difference.

What brand of battery are you using? I was able to get about three dives out of my OEM battery, but it finally took the big dump. I ordered a couple of off-brand replacements; the price was right but I kind of have to nurse them along in order to get two full dives out of them. Like you, I do not like to open my camera between dives and don't. I'm thinking of ordering a couple of genuine Sea and Sea batteries. You can try turning down the LCD brightness, that's a big battery hog. What's the mAh rating of the battery you're using? How long does it sit around after you charge it before you take it diving?

Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan.The new battery is an off brand as are the other two..I'll try turning down the lcd brightness. Have used off brand batteries in other cameras with great sucess. The new battery is rated 1200, older batteries 1150. Don't know if the camera can be set differently to use less power.

From my experience. I bought two inexpensive replacement batteries for my 2G, one rated 1250mAh and another 1600mAh. Both turned out to be garbage. They didn't last, had to be replaced after each dive. The 1600mAh rated was the worst battery, sometimes it couuldn't survive one dive. Then I bought two batteries from B&H: one Ricoh and another one Sea&Sea. These were quite a bit more expensive, but they do work. I can easily take 150+ pictures and review them between dives. Learning from that I am only buying batteries from a reputable source.

Update: I ordered a couple of Sea and Sea batteries from B&H. I just did two dives on one battery and took 238 pictures, all of them in RAW so I was working the battery good. Took the battery down to yellow, but clearly a lot better than the off-brands I bought. By the way, the off brands say they're rated at 1700 mAh, but I don't believe that for a second. The new Sea and Sea batteries say they're rated at 1250 mAh.

Thanks for the update Dan. I guess that I will just have to get the name brand batteries. In the past I have used the cheap batteries in my 5000g and 8000g and did great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom