Bauer Capitano C3E modification - some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superfisch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

I have an old Bauer Capitano C3E from 1981 that is working but has to be serviced (oil, filter,...). I´thinking on some modifications:

1) Reducing speed from 1300RPM to 650RPM by replacing electric engine in order to reduce heat producement and noise
2) Adding some additional gas cooler between cooling pipe after 3rd stage and P21 triplex
3) Mounting in a housing to reduce noise level - cooling will not be affected much because of housin design

My questions: Did anybody do such modifications? Is it generally bad to reduce RPM - I´m thinking on bigger Bauer blocks like K15 that are operated between 500 and 1200 RPM? Intercooling device will be some additional pipes that are ventet by cool fresh air from outside. Are there some things that have to be considered during modification?

My only concern would be the lubrication at such reduced rpm. I'd check with Munich to see what the minimum requirement is. I have used variable speed drives on Mariner IIs to allow an "on the cusp" membrane to get 36% DANx. At full speed the Mariner II will easily get enough gas to make 32% but I have to drop it to 1100 rpm for the same membrane to get 36%. I believe that 1100 for the older Capitanos and Mariners was the minimum to assure proper lubrication at the higher oil pressures in those machines. Also, cooling might be a problem at such low rpm.

I have had amazing results by adding a 15 meter coil of 1/4 s.s. tubing in an ice water bath.
Tweaking the system now for further improvements, (Better separation installed soon) but so far I have increased filter life by 3.5X.
If you are buying prepacked filters for a Bauer this could save you a fortune..then again I have an ice factory next door....
Ambient temperatures here are 31*, air in my separator is less then 12* ! Before the coil went in, separator temp was 44*
I can blow chunks of ice out of the separator if I open it too much !

Thank you - concerning librication I´m waiting for an answer from Munich (I´ve been calling there - they will send me some details by email).
I´m trying to increase cooling by a high-pressure-coil that is inside a water tank (about 50l water). Additional cooling is planed to be dona by a thermoelectric element (peltier) that is directly mountet at the P21 Triplex bottom. It consumes about 100W electrical power and will be regulated to avoid freezing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom