Bauer PE 200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Raja Ampat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am thinking of getting a PE 200 but when I look for replacement filters I get zilch for answers. I was told that aftermarket filter towers might be an answer to get away from having to buy the factory cartridge. Anybody have any experience with this?

The PE200 comes with the Bauer P31 triplex filter, same as the Mariner 200. Now the issue is four fold:
1. The OPV is located on top of the P31
2. The PMV is located on the bottom of the P31
3. You can't really remove the P31 without doing a lot of plumbing and putting an aftermarket OPV and PMV on, which will make it uneconomic by the time you add another filter stack too.
4. The B-Timer is on the P31

So you have an option to be able to buy a repackable stainless steel filter, which Pro Diving Services in Australia sell http://www.prodivingservices.com.au/products-page/spares-consumables/repackable-filters-2/ By using one of these, you will reduce the cost of filter changes, but you will may need to change the media more often. I use one and it works fine, but I added a 33-inch tower and dual inline moisture indicator eyeballs anyway. I would highly recommend at least one moisture eyeball after your P31.

Many thanks for that ! I saw a system in Bali but they wanted $3000 for the setup and that seemed a bit steep need to run a lot of tanks to get the ROI mark on that. Thanks again

What you can do is turn the P31 into an extra separator by gutting the cartridge after you've used it and re inserting it so it blocks the blowby outlet. Then you can add a LF filtration tower of choice after the P31 unit at a more reasonable price to the Bauer equivalent. There is no need to purchase a stainless steel repackable cartridge as the larger OEM filter can be gutted and repacked to the same specs and used over and over.

What you can do is turn the P31 into an extra separator by gutting the cartridge after you've used it and re inserting it so it blocks the blowby outlet. Then you can add a LF filtration tower of choice after the P31 unit at a more reasonable price to the Bauer equivalent. There is no need to purchase a stainless steel repackable cartridge as the larger OEM filter can be gutted and repacked to the same specs and used over and over.

Okay, nice concept but then you introduce another issue, which is that you let all the oil and crap run through the PMV located on the base of the P31 and along the lines. This will eventually lead to the PMV failing - so be ready to get your wallet out as anything with Bauer on it is expensive.

Okay, nice concept but then you introduce another issue, which is that you let all the oil and crap run through the PMV located on the base of the P31 and along the lines. This will eventually lead to the PMV failing - so be ready to get your wallet out as anything with Bauer on it is expensive.

Not if it's hooked up to the ACD and emptied every 15 minutes......trust me!!!!!!

Not if it's hooked up to the ACD and emptied every 15 minutes......trust me!!!!!!

I still wouldn't do it regardless of if it has an ACD or not. In the big scheme of things, the cost of a stainless repackable filter cartridge at around $300 AUD is pretty small for piece of mind. Some of the PE200's seem to come with the P21, which is smaller again and rather inadequate for a 200 CFM compressor in my opinion. My increased filtration path started when I started testing my produced air samples from my Bauer Oceanus with only the P21 fitted. The resultant change has been adding a 10/20/30% moisture eyeball after the P21, a 30 micro particle filter, a 33-inch LF tower, another 10/20/30% moisture eyeball after the tower, a Hopcalite only filter and LF High Performance PMV and OPV, plus a couple of check valves. The subsequent results are well within Grade E standards.

I still wouldn't do it regardless of if it has an ACD or not. In the big scheme of things, the cost of a stainless repackable filter cartridge at around $300 AUD is pretty small for piece of mind. Some of the PE200's seem to come with the P21, which is smaller again and rather inadequate for a 200 CFM compressor in my opinion. My increased filtration path started when I started testing my produced air samples from my Bauer Oceanus with only the P21 fitted. The resultant change has been adding a 10/20/30% moisture eyeball after the P21, a 30 micro particle filter, a 33-inch LF tower, another 10/20/30% moisture eyeball after the tower, a Hopcalite only filter and LF High Performance PMV and OPV, plus a couple of check valves. The subsequent results are well within Grade E standards.

If I were mixing gases, I would be just as meticulous in ensuring grade E outcomes.

However, I'm a 21% OC purist with a KISS attitude so I'll put my faith in the Securis monitor for dry air...... it works for me. :wink:

Has Ric dropped his prices on the SS cartridges as he was selling them for well over AUD$400 locally and for USD $392 shipped to the States!

If I were mixing gases, I would be just as meticulous in ensuring grade E outcomes.

However, I'm a 21% OC purist with a KISS attitude so I'll put my faith in the Securis monitor for dry air...... it works for me. :wink:

Has Ric dropped his prices on the SS cartridges as he was selling them for well over AUD$400 locally and for USD $392 shipped to the States!

Understood. I'm diving a rebreather, to tech depths, so need to ensure I don't have any trace gas issues.

My P21 SS cartridge was about AUD$280 from memory, but by the time I added felt pads, AC and MS, the bill was around AUD$400. The P31 may be more than the P21, but it shouldn't be much more. This was a couple of years ago at least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom