BC Failure Survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey D33p,

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll admit I was a little shocked to find our website is making world wide claims. Innovative is enough for me. Bad things happen when the marketing dept runs amok, (and when they know about html than I do :10: ) Rest assured our world wide claims will be toned down First thing Monday.

I am actually considering a redundant wing design. This would be new addition to the line, and research here seems worthwhile. Real Stats on specfic tyes of failures are hard to find. Who to believe? The manufacturers of the components? Resellers? I like lots of sources.

I would never claim to know it all. Research is tough, many strongly held opinions that often turn out to be wrong or incomplete. Never enough data points.

Received some good input here.

My real concern is what constitutes redundancy. Exact duplication of a vital system would never be considered redundant on aircraft for example.

Thanks again

ch

cool_hardware52:
Seems that without applying statistical analysis (too few data points anyway) that most bc failures in actual use were not bladder related, but were associated with the ancillary parts. Almost makes one want to design a redundant wing with valves and hoses and power inflators from 2 different sources, but that would make service a bit more involved.

Also, if you attach 2 inflators, etc. to 1 bladder, the redundant inflator isn't...

Whatever failure occures to the first inflator will still affect the bladder wether you start fiddling with the 2nd inflator or not.

About the only failures this setup protects you from is a post shutdown or if you've disconnected one of the LP hoses due to a run-away inflation situation (both issues already solvable via manual inflation).

For any kind of leak on one side, havin a redundant side wouldn't resolve the leak.

got a small pin hole in the inflator hose... looked like a bubble formed when the hose was made cause the area around the hole was very thin and it wasn't in a wear spot, just btw the "ribs" on the hose... it just "popped" and started leaking veeeery slowly... didn't notice at first, I kept having to add air while staying at the same depth... when I cleaned it and filled with air I saw the bubbles coming out of the hose midway btw the joints.
some aquaseal googed into the rib of the hose cured all pinholes...

Wow, I just saw a Halcyon LP inflator blow the whole valve right out the end tonight. We were getting ready for an open water pool session but the DM who owns it is glad he wasn't on a deep dive. It is the one that has been recalled so if yours is don't screw around. Get it changed!

dc4bs:
Also, if you attach 2 inflators, etc. to 1 bladder, the redundant inflator isn't...
I think he was referring to two completely different designs sourced from different builders. THAT would not be good. I can't imagine that he would have been discounting the idea of actually having dual inflators.

My opinion on dual-bladder wings are well known, so I'll avoid repeating them here.

RichLockyer:
I can't imagine that he would have been discounting the idea of actually having dual inflators.

For deep diving, I use the Dive-Rite Superwing. It gives me a lot of mental comfort to know that I have two separate bladder and inflation systems. (Yes, folks, I realize that if someone stabs me it will go through both bladders, leaving only the drysuit and liftbag to get me home.)

I put the high-performance trombone valves on the connections. IF one runs away, a quick swipe will shut it off.

Is it somewhat more complex? Yes, somewhat! Like an airplane, it is safety-redundant (ETOPS) to get me home. Unlike some, since I fly one of the most complex machines in existence, I am comfortable with it.

Dear BJD I'm guessing the dual wing is your "Twin Engine" in your ETOPS analogy.

My question is the slide (trombone) valves. Why not just pull the quick disconnect? Are you concerned about schrader valve failure?

Regards,

ch

While diving a brand new Halcyon 55 wing (I had perhaps 5 dives on it), it developed a major leak where the low pressure hose connects into the inflator, requiring shut down of valve.

Turns out that when it was being assembled at the factory, they spun in the connector to the low pressure inflator hose so quickly that the o-ring was not seated correctly. After the dive, I put a new o-ring on and hand tightened (using a tool but not spinning it in so quickly) the assembly. No problems in a couple hundred dives since.

While I think that their engineering is good, I am not pleased with their quality control for assembly. I have had other such issues with other things that they manufacture including valves.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom