BC HOSE RIPS OFF---No Positive Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, now. Don't you go trying to put this thread back on a positive note.

If you don't have something negative to say, don't say anything :).

c_figaro:
Dude, poaching is wrong, but he was asking about dive safety.

9600 views? Holy cow! Maybe google might want to buy advertising within this thread to increase their hits!:lol:

I've heard that Google spears short lobsters while on rebreathers!

HELLLLO ALL! As some of you have seen, I have not replied in a while. The end of the spring semester, followed by the intense summer 6-week semester has kept me quite busy.

Good news! I have not poached any lobster, or killed my dive buddy or myself! I have been on several dives, mostly in springs, then the Thursday before a big dive around a Jetty in Pensacola, I came down with MONO. If any of you know what Mononucleosis is, it sucks! I finished up exams and have been sleeping like crazy....

Well my friend, FSU Kurt, informed me that my story has been viewed over 9,000 times! I would have never thought that one late night I would tell a story that would have soo many people interested and heated!

I have not had a chance to read any of the replies since I last viewed. I am waiting until I finish writing this, mostly because I know that the nasty replies are going to piss me off, and I do not want this post to be a negative one.

Thanks in advance to the people who give constructive criticism, and well the people who are negative...I do not have much to say.

I have thought about the incident and am not sure if I have provided a couple of details:

The Mares BC I had was a hand-me-down, and after several years of use with an entry-level BC it was on its way out. I am sure the reason the hose attachment to the BC tore was because of one simple procedure...I sometimes would put my arm between the two hoses (the HP fill hose, and the BC flexible hose) so that I could always easily find the fill button. I figure that this maneuver under water is somewhat difficult, the way you have to bend your elbow and stretch the BC while it is on to get your arm through tore the hose attachment off the BC.

The people who criticize me for not checking my gear thoroughly are giving advice, but that would not have prevented this accident. The BC was fine on the surface; it was underwater that this happened.

Does anyone else put their arm between the hoses? I do not do it anymore, my BC HOSE is always right next to my face and is not difficult to find.

Thanks again for the insight and constructive criticism and I will check this post more often, given its popularity.

John

FSU John:
HELLLLO ALL! As some of you have seen, I have not replied in a while. The end of the spring semester, followed by the intense summer 6-week semester has kept me quite busy.

Good news! I have not poached any lobster, or killed my dive buddy or myself! I have been on several dives, mostly in springs, then the Thursday before a big dive around a Jetty in Pensacola, I came down with MONO. If any of you know what Mononucleosis is, it sucks! I finished up exams and have been sleeping like crazy....

Well my friend, FSU Kurt, informed me that my story has been viewed over 9,000 times! I would have never thought that one late night I would tell a story that would have soo many people interested and heated!

I have not had a chance to read any of the replies since I last viewed. I am waiting until I finish writing this, mostly because I know that the nasty replies are going to piss me off, and I do not want this post to be a negative one.

Thanks in advance to the people who give constructive criticism, and well the people who are negative...I do not have much to say.

I have thought about the incident and am not sure if I have provided a couple of details:

The Mares BC I had was a hand-me-down, and after several years of use with an entry-level BC it was on its way out. I am sure the reason the hose attachment to the BC tore was because of one simple procedure...I sometimes would put my arm between the two hoses (the HP fill hose, and the BC flexible hose) so that I could always easily find the fill button. I figure that this maneuver under water is somewhat difficult, the way you have to bend your elbow and stretch the BC while it is on to get your arm through tore the hose attachment off the BC.

The people who criticize me for not checking my gear thoroughly are giving advice, but that would not have prevented this accident. The BC was fine on the surface; it was underwater that this happened.

Does anyone else put their arm between the hoses? I do not do it anymore, my BC HOSE is always right next to my face and is not difficult to find.

Thanks again for the insight and constructive criticism and I will check this post more often, given its popularity.

John

Oooohhh, John.

AS a college student, I took a scuba class after being certified for 2 years prior to my AOW to make sure I was up on all of my skills. I was scared. This class was not anywhere close to the quality at which I (hope?) I had been taught originally. The best trained does not always mean the best in real life situations.

As for your equipment: I had 2 regulators fail on me during a dive at 90'. I started taking risks much more seriously, and still had confidence in my equipment. While the faulty equipment seems to be the reason this happened (I'm ignoring karma possibilities right now) this leads to my next comment on ascention.

You said that to ascend and hold your breath would have been detrimental. Agreed. However, you should have already been neutrally boyant and swimming up would have solved your problems. Lets not even touch why, a best trained diver, would put air in a bcd to ascend.

solution? stay away from the bugs.

Adding air to accend is a big no no. Ditching partial weight would be a better Idea if it was thought out first,but proper weighting is the most basic thing that should always be considered

ScubaBabe22:
AS a college student, I took a scuba class after being certified for 2 years prior to my AOW to make sure I was up on all of my skills. I was scared. This class was not anywhere close to the quality at which I (hope?) I had been taught originally. The best trained does not always mean the best in real life situations.

Just to make sure I understand you, was this a dive shop class or a college course that you thought fell short of your expectations?

FSU John:

No, and I've never seen anyone do it either. I have a loop of bungie on my d-ring that holds my inflator hose down. I can't imagine it would be comfortable. :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom