BCD as Checked baggage or carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it depends if i need a drink i put the mask on forehead then the flying waitress will come over and give me a punch for calling her a flying waitress!!!

its also handy wearing full dive gear if you need the toilet as the toilets are always a bit flooded!

PhxDiver:
Hello,
I am new to diving. I recently purchased a bcd and plan to go diving in Maui soon. My instructer told us that you should not check your bcd at the airport. She said that the baggage area is not pressurized and that it could damage your bcd. She said to carry on your bcd. Is this correct, and if so, is there anything you can do to make your bcd ok as a checked item?

thanks,
john
Mine has been to Maui at least 5 times. Always checked. Never been a problem. There's nothing on a BC that can be damaged by pressure changes. Think about it, what happens if you try to inflate it too much - one of your relief valves will vent the excess pressure automatically. Empty you won't even have that concern.

I carry my regs/computer/video gear in my roller. More to prevent theft/rough handling than anything else. Although I have read that computers can be damaged by rapid changes in pressure.

instructer told us that you should not check your bcd at the airport. She said that the baggage area is not pressurized

Pack it.

BijJetDriver gave me a wonderful and funny post once about how the cabins ARE pressurized. (I was asking about lenses).

Your bcd is not affected by pressure.

The only time I did not pack my BP/W was when I was over -weighted and decided to wear it onto the plane, because I am very cheap.

cayman diver:
it depends if i need a drink i put the mask on forehead then the flying waitress will come over and give me a punch for calling her a flying waitress!!!

That's just totally irresponsible and unacceptable. Everyone on the plane is going to identify you as a clueless idiot if you do that. Turn the mask around backwards or let it hang below your chin.

Next you'll be telling us you don't even have a snorkel attached to it.

sjspeck:
Mine has been to Maui at least 5 times. Always checked. Never been a problem. There's nothing on a BC that can be damaged by pressure changes. Think about it, what happens if you try to inflate it too much - one of your relief valves will vent the excess pressure automatically. Empty you won't even have that concern.

I carry my regs/computer/video gear in my roller. More to prevent theft/rough handling than anything else. Although I have read that computers can be damaged by rapid changes in pressure.
I take it it's still ok to carry on regs and computers? The last time I carried them on the plane was prior to the whole Heathrow/gel bomb fiasco. I remember when flying used to be fun......

Take extra zip lock bags for that compass.

ReefHound:
That's just totally irresponsible and unacceptable. Everyone on the plane is going to identify you as a clueless idiot if you do that. Turn the mask around backwards or let it hang below your chin.

Next you'll be telling us you don't even have a snorkel attached to it.

i have a snorkle. thanks how i drink. you mean snorkels are for something else!!!:crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom