BCD Recommendations - Adjustable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SMAE

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As an instructor, I am considering purchasing a BCD for student use. Does anyone know if a particular brand that can accomodate a variety of different sized divers? I have 2 private classes this month, I need a small and a medium BCD. Just wondering if I could find an adjustable BCD to fit both divers.

BP/W is very adjustable. Probably not what you were looking for, though.
I know, right!!! I absolutely love mine but I want something that I don't have to set-up each time, especially that crotch strap.

I agree with you on the crotch strap, but everything else is relatively easy to adjust. AND, DGX now has 2 crotch strap options, DGX Gears Crotch Straps, one of which appears to be easily adjus

Erik

As an instructor, I am considering purchasing a BCD for student use. Does anyone know if a particular brand that can accomodate a variety of different sized divers? I have 2 private classes this month, I need a small and a medium BCD. Just wondering if I could find an adjustable BCD to fit both divers.
Apart from the BP/W, I know of one brand that might work in a more standard (though back inflate) BC. Their jacket versions are not as adjustable.

You should have no trouble finding them in FL as that's where they started.

Zeagle offers a variety of BCs with considerable adjustability. If you look on Zeagle's website, you should see a number of BCs with PFS on the image. This stands for Personal Fit System. Essentially, you can get sections in different sizes. Waist, Chest, and Torso can be sized independently. To do this, though you would need to have a few extra sections available, and it takes a bit to swap them out. Not overly complex, but also not something you want to do at the dive site. If you are using one for a student and not constantly swapping back and forth every day or dive, then this might work.

Another option is more recent. The Fury BC only comes in two sizes. XS-L and L-XXL. This builds on the PFS and adds the adjustability right into the BC, so you don't need to swap sections.

That Sea Elite BC is very, very similar to the Scubapro Accent that I was going to recommend.

The Scubapro, while not perfect, was adjustable for the variances within a size. A large could be adjusted from an upper medium to a lower XL.

I enjoyed diving mine before a BP/wrong and an considering another.

I think the SP Accent was discontinued but they have another with the integrated weight and trim pockets like the Sea Elite. The Sea Elite is probably allot more affordable though.

If not a BPW, then the Zeagle Express Tech is probably the most adjustable. When I had one I could fit a 4'8" 75lb jr diver and the next day put it on a 6ft 225lb adult. All it required was getting creative to manage the extra webbing for the smaller diver (couple pieces of inner tube was all that was needed). Which took every bit of 10 minutes to do if I was taking my time.
Half that if I was wanting to get it done quick.
The deluxe is ok. But if you find the right dealer they may be able to get or have on hand a standard which doesn't have the quick releases and is more of a BPW HOG style harness.
You can also buy the Zeagle back plate separately, get a buckle and some tri glides and D rings, 12-14ft of webbing, and a HOG or DGX bladder and build your own simple harness system.
That's the route I'd take.

Back
Top Bottom