BCD troubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased a Tusa Conquest new. It's very comfortable but...it has 4 Lbs postive bouyancy, so I get to wear 4 extra lbs just for this bcd. :(
I'm looking to try something different now.

After me and my wife went through our OW and did some additional dives, we had both worn 3 different types of BC's and used 3 different type's of regulators. We made notes about pros/cons of each. After we were done, we talked and realized we'd feel much more comfortable at least having our own reg set, especially for out of the country diving. Looking into it, the packaged route seemed to be the way to go, since the equipment we liked the most, and wore the most, was sold as a package from Aqualung. Talked to the shop, and her BC was switched out for the Pearl she loved, I'm getting the Pro LT. Everything else is the same for both - Suunto Zoop console with SPG, the SK7 compass mounted on back, Titan reg and ABS octo.

Shop also threw in some decent BC knives as well. I wouldn't buy anything until I had been in the water with it or something as close as I could find. One shop we dove with had all ScubaPro equipment. The BC was great, but had buckle issues and the regulator whistled like a freight train. I'm sure it was maintenace issues and not anything to do with quality, but the Titan just seemed to breathe the best out of all of them as well.

Hopefully they'll be shipping them out tomorrow.

I think the best thing for you to do is go to a LDS close to you and try on some rental rigs.. Chances are you will see how they hold up to a beating from being rentals, and you would have a great idea of what you like.

Another benefit is said LDS will probably sell you a used rental BCD for really cheap

As I am also on a college student's budget, I understand your dilemma way too well :wink:. Used gear really is the way to go, BUT you have to have some idea of what you're looking for before you start buying things. If you don't, you end up with way too many sets of gear (like everyone else on here, myself included...), but you might not have that one thing you really want. This is where rentals come in!! For BCDs, go try a couple of brands of each style (jacket and back inflate). Depending on where you are/your LDS, you might have to go visit a couple of shops so you aren't limited by the one/two brands your shop prefers.

TSandM gave a nice description of the different types of BCDs, and choosing one really all depends what you're comfortable with and what suits the type of diving you will be doing. BCDs that come as a complete unit, which includes most jacket and back inflate styles by the main manufactures (Tusa, Seaquest, Scubapro, Oceanic, Aeris, etc) are going to be cheaper and easier to find used and work really well! For recreational diving, I love my Seaquest Libra. I bought one used when I first started diving and have never had a problem with it!

I now have way too much gear :shakehead:, but I didn't own anything "new" until I started working for a shop. Not everything you see on craigslist, ebay, and this board are going to be deals, but a lot of it really is, and you can end up with some really nice stuff! Buying stuff this way, you can't be under the expectation that you're going to get everything immediately like you could if you bought it new. Let other people spend way too much on new gear and then buy it from them at a great price when they decide diving isn't for them a week later :D .

Thank you for all the advice. I've been looking at craigslist and I did find a small one someone is selling and I'd like to go and try it on. I think that's my next problem is finding a used one that will actually fit me! I'm a bit small, 5'1 and 100 pounds. The one I'm using for my cert is a little too big but they didn't have any smaller ones at the place! I'll probably end up going to dive shops and just try on every BC they have haha.

Well, that adds a little additional complexity to the situation. This is where the backplate setups excel, because they are infinitely adjustable. But they are a bit harder to find used, because the new divers who are likely not to continue rarely buy them, and by the time people do buy them, they rarely let them go.

Greetings GlowWorm you have been given some great advice.
I would look for a dive club or group of divers with extra gear you could borrow or rent while diving with them.
Seek out active divers and you will find a mentor worthy of diving with.
You might be surprised that your budget limitations might not be as bad as you think.

The group I roll with we try to help new divers get involved and active in the diving lifestyle.
If you are ever up my way get here and rent or bring your basic gear and we can take care of the rest.
I own two BC's that my son and daughter use that would work for you and they were very reasonable.
Do not loose hope or miss a dive but reach out good people are out there just be careful.
just remember there are always wolves around sheep!

Safe diving to you and have fun making new friends!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I'm working on a college student budget. My biggest downfall, this is a very expensive sport!

GlowWorm,

You might learn whether the college/university you're attending has a scuba club, and if so, what the club's assets are.

The university near me has an official university scuba club that is open to students who have taken the university's scuba course and have received their open water certification. There's a nominal dues required, paid each semester, I think. The club has several full sets of scuba gear. A full set (including wet suit with hood) rents for something like $25 a weekend. So, all a club member would actually *need* to purchase is his/her mask, fins, snorkel, and weight belt. The member would need to rent a scuba cylinder from an LDS somewhere and pay for air fills, but, even so, a weekend of local diving can be done by a club member very inexpensively.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Try a Zeagle Zena. Unfortunately finding one used in your size my be a challenge. Designed for woman I know of many female divers who swear by them.

A BP/W will work but they are rather spartan, have little or no padding and require a weight belt. They maybe hard to find used and the standard plate maybe large on you.

Buying used from a diveshop would be my last option. The equipment is used daily in chlorinated water and the equipment is HEAVILY used. Where a used BC may have a dozen dives on it a scuba store BC will have hundreds of dives on it. Most BC's work well so fit becomes the primary factor.

First off, let me say that I am still a newbie, but I recently went through your same scenario.

Be careful buying on craigslist. A lot of the stuff isn't a deal once you factor in the cost to service the regulators. Plus, if you aren't familiar with the equipment and don't have the time to research everything, you might be buying something that is really old, discontinued, not serviceable, potentially dangerous, etc. Not to scare you away, just make sure you do your research or have someone helping you that knows their stuff. That being said, sometimes you can find some really good deals on craigslist. Since I started diving 2 years ago I have purchased 3 regulators off craigslist that were brand new, never used, for pennies on the dollar. Kept one, and sold the other 2 on ebay for double what I paid.

Regulators - I'd recommend sticking with the name brand companies (scubapro, mares, oceanic, aqualung, apeks, zeagle, etc). Look for something that is in good shape, not to old, and recently serviced (with receipt for proof). Don't get caught up in all the extra bells and whistles that some regulators may have. I believe in keeping it simple. Often the simpler regs are cheaper so people think they aren't good performers (this is where doing your research comes in). If it hasn't been serviced than factor service cost into your purchase price (anywhere from $80-$120 to service 1st, both 2nds, and gauges). You are usually better off buying a complete regulator setup (dollar wise), than piecing a set together.

I personally went with Mares Abyss for my reg set because it's a simple design that has been around for years and years, and it's an all metal reg so I don't get dry mouth as bad. It doesn't have any adjustment nobs, but I don't really think I need them. In the 2 years since I got certified I've dived sherwood regs, scubapro (low end to high end), oceanic, aqualung, Mares. To be honest, I haven't really seen much difference from one to the next except for the dry mouth previously mentioned. For recreational diving they have all performed.

BCD - Do you like the jacket style? Personally, I don't like it because it makes me feel squished, confined, uncomfortable, etc. I was certified in jacket style and this is generally what you will be rented on dive boats. Your other options are back-inflate and backplate/wing. I really like the bp/w setup, but you may not. It's a personal thing. I like to take a minimalist approach, and be as stream-lined as possible.

My first BCD was a Tusa Jacket style (don't remember the model). I quickly got tired of the squeeze, and I didn't really find it comfortable. After talking with an ex-combat diver at work (one of the guy that actually stood up the USMC combat diving school in panama city), I decided to look for a back-inflate bc based on his recommendation. I ended up with a Zeagle Ranger. It is a great BCD, very comfortable, very robust, but it was a little bulky and a little much for my style of diving (single tank, recreational dives). I decided to get a slimmer back-inflate BCD. So I sold the Zeagle and got an Oceanic Exursion. It was a good BC, but I just didn't fall in love with it. I didn't feel like it fit me just right even though it was properly sized, and I still felt like I just had too much gear on. One thing I noticed with back-inflate is that it tends to push you face forward when floating on the surface if you're used to jacket style. To compensate for this , distribute some of your weight to the back trim pockets or lean back slightly or both.

So finally, after hours and hours of research on scubaboard/online/etc I decided bp/w was the way to go. So I sold the excursion and I got a SS bp, and an oxycheq wing. It was simple, it was comfortable. I was really excited about it just wearing it around the house. Once I got it in the water I liked it even more. No more shifting bcd/tank when i turned/rolled etc. No more bulky gear. The tank seemed fused to my back. I felt like I was snorkeling. No weight belts or weight integrated pockets needed as I didn't need extra weight anymore. Trim was improved, and overall diving was more enjoyable.

My gf recently got certified and since she is just starting out I picked her up a jacket style BCD on craigslist. Used only a couple of times because the lady had an inner ear problem and couldn't continue her certification. It was $75. A good deal for sure. I think jacket style is good for beginners because beginners are usually very awkward in the water, and on the surface it keeps you heads up without you even trying, plus I think people feel safer in them because they are like a life jacket.

My gf is also small like you at 5' and 100lbs. We found the womens small oceanic isla fits her well. She wears a size 5.5 shoe, so finding her fins were a little more difficult, but I picked up some small force fins that fit well with a neoprene sock. Speaking of force fins... The way you slip them on and go (assuming you have bungee straps which you can make for $6 or buy for $35), it really feels like you are barefoot swimming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom