BCD vs Wing in adrift situation.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[/QUOTE]Head down and snorkeling when adrift - hummm doesn't seem like the best position to be looking for boats, other divers, helicopters, etc. I'd much rather be able to keep myself in a fairly vertical position with head and eyes up and able to breathe without a snorkel.[/QUOTE]

True.

But you'l be able to hear them, and can sit up whenever you want. Seeing boats and planes is easy. Getting them to see you..........

There may be some exaggeration by the BP/wing divers regarding just a "puff of air" and squeezing the breath out of them using BCD's. I started with a ScubaPro Nighthawk BCD and now dive with a BP/wing. Using the BCD I never felt I was being squeezed (I was not over weighted).
I used a Nighthawk BCD for years. It is pretty much the same thing as a BP/W in design. The bladder is around the tank, not the body. A true jacket BCD has the air bladder around the body. I have to teach students in jacket BCDs. At the beginning of every class, I have the students overinflate the BCDs to show them that there is a pressure release device. They are very much squeezed.

I used a Nighthawk BCD for years. It is pretty much the same thing as a BP/W in design. The bladder is around the tank, not the body. A true jacket BCD has the air bladder around the body. I have to teach students in jacket BCDs. At the beginning of every class, I have the students overinflate the BCDs to show them that there is a pressure release device. They are very much squeezed.
Yes, some jacket B.C.'s will squeeze the diver. However, there are newer jacket B.C.'s that don't squeeze the diver by design even when full.

I have a DR wing but the fact is that a Jacket style BC is designed to give you even floatation around your body's circumference whereas the wing will give you a better horizontal posture.
For maintaining a horizontal profile while diving I love my wing but when it comes to a long surface swim back to shore or in the unlikely event that I find myself adrift at sea I would prefer the jacket BC to keep me upright while completely inflated. Also for the record when swimming on my back the jacket BC is much easier than the back inflated wing.
JMTCW :thumb:

A diver also doesn't just become unconscious on the surface suddenly, or just drowns because of this. When sh*t does happen, it is likely you'd get choked and drowned underwater already.
A medical emergency at the surface can result in unconsciousness.

Neither jackets nor wings are life preservers so get an old school Horsecollar or insure you stay conscious at the surface.

Bob

Neither jackets nor wings are life preservers so get an old school Horsecollar or insure you stay conscious at the surface.

But since jackets usually have air pockets in the "pockets" area, they do tend to flip you belly up.

I think I spend more time underwater than on the surface, so if I go unconscious, that's more likely to happen underwater. Where the type of BCD will not make that much difference.

Adrift and conscious, I can do any number of things to keep my head above water. Like take off my gear and lay my head & shoulders on top.

I noticed the same thing in the video. However, he might have just had it off and fully inflated for comfort. The seas were pretty calm, there really wasn't a whole lot of reason to leave it on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom