BCD's for BIG guys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there,
This is my first posting on your board so please excuse any newbie errors that I might make. (In other words, please be gentle with me). I have been using a Northen Diver "Guardian" BCD and find the wrap-around design a little restricting. A further problem is that the bladder is so large that It tends to take a lot of tank air to expand the bladder to provide sufficient buoyancy for a man my size on the surface. In order to get down I have to empty the air completely by squeezing every last drop out of the bladder to ensure descent. My weighting is ok, but being as big as I am I carry a lot of natural water displacement. I am 6'2" 52" Chest 57" Girth and weigh about 23stones (thats 322Lbs for my American cousins). Of course, further air needs to be introduced to the bladder when I level off.

It has been suggested that I might be more comfortable with a back inflation setup and I am considering buying the Aqualung Raider. Never having used a set of wings before I am interested to see how they fair.

I was wondering if there are any BIG guys (or girls for that matter) who have reached XXL proportions, but still enjoy and manage to dive, in spite of advice to the contrary, (It's great feeling weightless isn't it?) who use back inflation BCD's, that can give me an insight into the pro's and cons? I appreciate that in the final analysis it is down to personal preference, but there is no harm in canvassing opinion before parting with shed-loads of hard-earned. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

well, back inflate is definitely a step in the right direction, but finding on to fit may still be an issue, not really sure.
Back inflate are nice underwater, just make sure it's not a huge bladder that will wrap the tank. Doesn't exactly help out your trim or balance. They do tend to pitch you forward on top as all the air is behind you, but you won't feel squeeze as in a jacket style bcd.

I am 6'3" 250lbs or so, and I was wearing a zeagle tech. I have since changed to a bp/wing, which can fit anybody and wouldn't go back. The stability of the system, the simplicity, and the fact once it's setup, it fits perfect was enough for me.

Yes, as one big guy to another, I would also recommend a BP and wing. Infinitely adjustable, and as big as you need it. very nice system. Forget about the Raider...
www.oxycheq.com

Alan,

I'm another big guy, 6'1" 280 lbs, and I recently bought the Halcyon BP/W set up. Highly recommended. I know its a bit pricey..... but I'm thrilled with it. And it will be the last BCD I'll ever have to buy - with some repairs/replacement parts, of course when necessary.

I did a lot of research here on SB and elsewhere before I bought. Go for a BP/W !!!!

The Oceanic Probe QLR is available in an XXL and will fit you very well. As a plus, the Probe is a very solid BC with excellent features.

Hey Alan,
I'm 6'0 and 290lb. I was using an Oceanic Contour Jacket and never had a problem but after changing to B/P and Oxycheck 40 single's wing I've been much happier. I dive both dry and wet and after the initial adjustments I have not changed the fit for either suit. I would also suggest orally inflating the wing/BC before entering the water, don't no how much air it saves but you don't hear the whoosh from your tank. Hope this helps and good luck.

chuckrt

Alan Wheetman:
me). A further problem is that the bladder is so large that It tends to take a lot of tank air to expand the bladder to provide sufficient buoyancy for a man my size on the surface. In order to get down I have to empty the air completely by squeezing every last drop out of the bladder to ensure descent. My weighting is ok, but being as big as I am I carry a lot of natural water displacement. I am 6'2" 52" Chest 57" Girth and weigh about 23stones (thats 322Lbs for my American cousins). Of course, further air needs to be introduced to the bladder when I level off.

It has been suggested that I might be more comfortable with a back inflation setup and I am considering buying the Aqualung Raider. Never having used a set of wings before I am interested to see how they fair.

I was wondering if there are any BIG guys (or girls for that matter) who have reached XXL proportions, but still enjoy and manage to dive, in spite of advice to the contrary, (It's great feeling weightless isn't it?) who use back inflation BCD's, that can give me an insight into the pro's and cons? I appreciate that in the final analysis it is down to personal preference, but there is no harm in canvassing opinion before parting with shed-loads of hard-earned. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Alan, the first thing I will say, per your post, is that it isn't the size of the bladder that is consuming alot of tank air. More likely, as a new diver, your bouyancy control is still developing. For that reason you probably find yourself constantly adding and dumping air. In time, as you become more comfortable underwater, that issue will resolve itself. The other thing I suspect is that your weighting isn't as good as you think. If you are not able to desend at the beginning of a dive, with a full tank and no air in your BC, how can you remain neutral during a safety stop at 15' with only 500PSI in your tank? At the start of a dive you should be at least as negative as the weight of the air in your tank. Regardless of the BC you choose, be it an integrated jacket, back inflate or BP & W's, your weighting has to be proper and your underwater bouyancy control has to be worked out from the experience you can only get by practicing and constantly adjusting things to achieve your goals. All of this said- alot of people have decided that they are more comfortable in a back inflate than a jacket style BC. I have found that the tendency of back inflates to push you face down is greatly exaggerated. The advice to look at BP&W's is sound but may seem overwelming to you as a new diver. Most LDS's don't sell BP&W's- they are viewed by mainstream LDS's as "Tech" gear. They also are sold as a more modular system, meaning that you could get the major components separately, which could be intimidating if all you have to look at are internet pictures. In any event, if you go with back inflate and choose something like the Aqualung, make sure that the wing is matched to your diving. Don't get something with 60lbs of lift for single tank diving. Try and find something below 40 lbs of lift if you are diving a single tank. As an alternative, from a cost standpoint alone, look at the Triple-L Orion (www.triple-l.biz). You could mate the smallest wing with the largest harness and they are about the most inexpensive I've seen. You may not be ready for the financial commitment to diving that a BP&W requires and with gear like Triple-L's, you can afford to buy something on speculation.

If you buy an Oxycheq (or Halcyon) system thru Covci.com (or EE), they will sell you a complete set with all the pieces included. Not every LDS is the same. Every LDS I go to sells BP and W.

yknot:
Alan, the first thing I will say, per your post, is that it isn't the size of the bladder that is consuming alot of tank air. More likely, as a new diver, your bouyancy control is still developing. For that reason you probably find yourself constantly adding and dumping air. In time, as you become more comfortable underwater, that issue will resolve itself. The other thing I suspect is that your weighting isn't as good as you think. If you are not able to desend at the beginning of a dive, with a full tank and no air in your BC, how can you remain neutral during a safety stop at 15' with only 500PSI in your tank? At the start of a dive you should be at least as negative as the weight of the air in your tank. Regardless of the BC you choose, be it an integrated jacket, back inflate or BP & W's, your weighting has to be proper and your underwater bouyancy control has to be worked out from the experience you can only get by practicing and constantly adjusting things to achieve your goals. All of this said- alot of people have decided that they are more comfortable in a back inflate than a jacket style BC. I have found that the tendency of back inflates to push you face down is greatly exaggerated. The advice to look at BP&W's is sound but may seem overwelming to you as a new diver. Most LDS's don't sell BP&W's- they are viewed by mainstream LDS's as "Tech" gear. They also are sold as a more modular system, meaning that you could get the major components separately, which could be intimidating if all you have to look at are internet pictures. In any event, if you go with back inflate and choose something like the Aqualung, make sure that the wing is matched to your diving. Don't get something with 60lbs of lift for single tank diving. Try and find something below 40 lbs of lift if you are diving a single tank. As an alternative, from a cost standpoint alone, look at the Triple-L Orion (www.triple-l.biz). You could mate the smallest wing with the largest harness and they are about the most inexpensive I've seen. You may not be ready for the financial commitment to diving that a BP&W requires and with gear like Triple-L's, you can afford to buy something on speculation.
Thank you for your reply to my posting about back inflation BCD's for the Big guy.
The comments you make about weighting are welcome and I agree that even with 42 dives behind me I still have a lot to learn. When last diving in the Red sea I managed to lower my weight from 14Kgs down to 10kgs in a 3mm shortie. At 14kgs I found that the weight was pulling me down more than I would have liked. To compensate I was having to use quite a bit of air to the bladder only having to lose it again as the tank emptied. Finely balancing the buoyancy, for someone my size with a large lung capacity, has not been as easy in practice as the theory appears on paper. Part of the problem, I am convinced, is the bladder's slow rate of discharge at the surface, whether by using an elevated tube and/or shoulder dump. On a negative entry there is no problem, but this is not always practical when diving with a group and guide.

I am hoping that a back inflation setup with a reduced bladder size will make things a little easier and more comfortable.

Thank you, once again, for taking the time to post such a considered and comprehensive reply.

LUBOLD8431:
If you buy an Oxycheq (or Halcyon) system thru Covci.com (or EE), they will sell you a complete set with all the pieces included. Not every LDS is the same. Every LDS I go to sells BP and W.
You're fortunate that the LDS's in your area stock this gear. Even though the diving in my area is on the cold side, and the Great Lakes are full of wrecks (some very deep), the gear for sale here is mostly tropical and definatly recreational in nature. There is only one shop that sells Halcyon within 50 miles of my house and the gear doesn't rate a place of prevalance in that shop. You would mostly have to move something else out of the way to even look at it. My point as to the original poster is that, while a BP & W may ultimately be the best choice, it is a bit daunting to research for a new diver. The only way to do so may be from info on this board. Remember-all of the gear is strange and overwelming to a new diver. I can understand someones reluctance to jump into a Halcyon Pioneer system, for example, at the plus side of $500, based on an image from the EE website. This would be in oppositon to the tendancy of most LDS's to steer a new diver towards something more "traditional" (higher margin). For a lot of LDS's, even back inflate BC's are getting into "tech".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom