Question Beginner diving in Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Renee09

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We will be in Japan in October 2024 coming from chilly Canada. We will be visiting the main attractions but I would like to add a few dives in if it makes sense. I’m OW and Nitrox certified, have maybe 20 dives under my belt including Cozumel, Florida and Portugal. I’m a solo female diver, I speak English and French (but not Japanese!). I consider myself to be a beginner and I’m looking for easy, shallower dives. Curious about diving in Okinawa but wondering if something closer to Tokyo would be more accessible given that the main purpose of the trip is not diving. Also curious about bleaching in Japan. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you can get to Mikomoto I consider it a dive of a lifetime and the days I went weren't considered ideal due to lack of current. You will need AOW however.
There are dives across the bay from Tokyo which are also considered good but I didn't have the time for them.

Okinawa was gorgeous and very accessible at almost any level. Unfortunately I had just one day so I rented tanks from Max Air, walked them across the street and dove until I started running out of daylight.

This might help you : Worldadventuresdiver : it's a diving blog, both in English and French, written by a solo female diver, who went several times in Japan.

We will be in Japan in October 2024 coming from chilly Canada. We will be visiting the main attractions but I would like to add a few dives in if it makes sense. I’m OW and Nitrox certified, have maybe 20 dives under my belt including Cozumel, Florida and Portugal. I’m a solo female diver, I speak English and French (but not Japanese!). I consider myself to be a beginner and I’m looking for easy, shallower dives. Curious about diving in Okinawa but wondering if something closer to Tokyo would be more accessible given that the main purpose of the trip is not diving. Also curious about bleaching in Japan. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Have a look at the Izu pensisular a couple of hours from Tokyo and Mikimoto should definitely be on your list, as in October you will have a great chance of hammerhead sightings

These guys in Tokyo will also be able to help

Diving in Okinawa is amazing but you need to factor in 4 or 5 days, I would throughly recommend Ishagaki.

Okinawa is about a 3 hr flight from Tokyo.

It’s the equivalent Longitude change of Seattle to Los Angeles (or New York to Miami).

The diving will be better in Okinawa is world class, but I’d give Oki 3-5 days if you’re gonna go that far.

I'm in Okinawa, and will have to agree that diving in Okinawa will be 100 time better then mainland as majority of your dives were in tropical weather, you will fit in just fine here. Mainland Japan's water is colder compared to our 75 degree Fahrenheit temp. If you find yourself coming down this way, take a look at Diving Okinawa English | Dive centre OKINAWA 39ers | Diving Kerama islands | 日本, Aloha Divers Okinawa: Scuba Diving Service Okinawa, English Empire Divers Okinawa (Okinawa's No1 English Speaking company), Onna Village Okinawa Scuba - Sunkissed Divers, EXPLORING THE UNDERWATER WONDERS OF JAPAN. All speak English and will be happy to help you out! If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom