Beginner Equipment Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've got an inch and about 15-20 pounds on me, but I've got about 30+ years on you!
I shall gladly abuse your knowledge then, as I much prefer learning from the decisions of others when possible! I believe it is the island of O'ahu, but I am under the impression that island hopping is pretty easy in general.

There must also be 20+ easy entry shore dives - most off beaches although a few entries are over lava which will shred your bare feet. My go to boot is a 3MM with a slightly thicker sole.

Thank you all for the advice, it sounds like the mask will just have to be a trial by fire, and that I should go for a moderate weight shoe/boot with a sturdy sole. I have no idea what sites I will dive from, so I have no way of knowing the soil conditions, and a little bit of too much shoe sounds much nicer than bailing on a dive because I couldn't get to the water. I also prefer to make a few changes as possible, so wearing the same size boot with the find will give me a small comfort of familiarity.

Lastly, if you’ll be living on Hawaii, a GUE instructor Meredith Tanguay does classes there. I’d highly recommend GUE Fundamentals when you get to 20 dives or so.

I will definitely look into it once I get some experience!

I wear the Fourth Element Pelagic boots and LOVE them. Yes, they say they are 6.5mm but my feet have never been sweaty and I dive in the Middle East where water temps are between 84-92 for most of the year. The coldest I have ever experienced is 19C (66 F)

Masks are a PITA. I have gone through many and found one or two that don't leak. I clearly have an odd shaped face. I am still out shopping for the perfect mask but most of it is trial and error.

Yes, they say they are 6.5mm but my feet have never been sweaty and I dive in the Middle East where water temps are between 84-92 for most of the year.

I am at the same destination, but a slightly different route: sweating won't phase me much because no matter what I wear, I will undoubtedly sweat a great deal in it. Shirt and shorts in the snow? Sweat.

Just for clarification, that's just for shore dives isn't it? If you're on a boat, weights are thrown in.
Yes and not all the shore operations charge either. I think MDS does, at Lahaina once they pointed me at the gear room and said help yourself. Many of my trips I brought my own b4 the luggage restrictions became so prevalent.

I would skip the ear mask at first and get a regular mask and learn how to equalize properly, which takes practice. Those masks are generally used as a last ditch effort after all else fails. It’s fairly normal to have trouble equalizing when you first start and gets easier with practice.

• Island hopping is fast and easy.I flew over to Oahu one day from Maui to visit Pearl, the aquarium - the Waikiki though small rehabs endangered monk seals and is the only place I've ever seen live Nautilus. It used to be Go, Mokolule or Hawaiian airlines bu I think Go is gone. Hawaiian also pressurizes the cabin between islands so no-fly after dive rules apply. Mokolule uses some twin turbo- props so they don't. About 1/2 our trips to Maui connected in Oahu. With the timezone differences you still arrive around noon from the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom