Beginner with Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Deeter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I am using a GoPro Hero 4 Silver and would like to move into using a DSLR. Any suggestions on a good beginner rig that would allow me to grow with the camera.

any of the SLR's will be OK, obviously newer is better, and lenses and lighting are going to be much more critical. Choose your platform wisely, and if you can find an older model with good lights and lenses with a modular housing, replacing the body and housing is not the end of the world.

So I am using a GoPro Hero 4 Silver and would like to move into using a DSLR. Any suggestions on a good beginner rig that would allow me to grow with the camera.
Video or stills? Budget? Why have you decided you need a DSLR? Not saying you don't, but that answer help us see what the issues are...

Video or stills? Budget? Why have you decided you need a DSLR? Not saying you don't, but that answer help us see what the issues are...
Video, budget total around $4000. I like the GoPro for the simplicity, but find it limiting in what you can do. I would like a camera that would allow me to expand on my film making skills.

any of the SLR's will be OK, obviously newer is better, and lenses and lighting are going to be much more critical. Choose your platform wisely, and if you can find an older model with good lights and lenses with a modular housing, replacing the body and housing is not the end of the world.
Thank you.

Video, budget total around $4000. I like the GoPro for the simplicity, but find it limiting in what you can do. I would like a camera that would allow me to expand on my film making skills.

My dive buddy Pete Bucknell created the GoPro course for PADI, and teaches it regularly. A few years ago, he did this comparison of a GoPro with an expensive pro UW video rig. I was very impressed with the quality of the GoPro. Here, judge for yourself (I'm the model!).

I don't know if your dive count is correct, but a big DSLR is a lot of task loading and has significant buoyancy implications. A good housing for a DSLR can blow out most of your budget right there (my Nauticam housing alone now sells for $3400). By the time you add lights, the camera, the arms and the lens, you are over budget by a good bit. You can save money with an Ikelite housing, but I still think that before you take the plunge, you figure out exactly what the problem is with the GoPro that you plan on solving with the DSLR.

My dive buddy Pete Bucknell created the GoPro course for PADI, and teaches it regularly. A few years ago, he did this comparison of a GoPro with an expensive pro UW video rig. I was very impressed with the quality of the GoPro. Here, judge for yourself (I'm the model!).

I don't know if your dive count is correct, but a big DSLR is a lot of task loading and has significant buoyancy implications. A good housing for a DSLR can blow out most of your budget right there (my Nauticam housing alone now sells for $3400). By the time you add lights, the camera, the arms and the lens, you are over budget by a good bit. You can save money with an Ikelite housing, but I still think that before you take the plunge, you figure out exactly what the problem is with the GoPro that you plan on solving with the DSLR.
Much appreciated, thanks. I'll look into your buddies class.

Much appreciated, thanks. I'll look into your buddies class.

Sounds good! Here is his main website: Welcome

There is a helpful e-book available through that site. He also runs a Facebook page where people post questions, etc...

he has a point, the Gopro is really just as capable at video than most DSLR's, it's the lights that will kill you. If you want to do stills, then you really need to go DSLR, but for video the GoPro is damn good.

LD-50V Video Head
This will blow basically your whole budget, but get one of those with the big canister and a side gland. Then get another head with the stack cap. Set up with ball long arms on a good tray and strap the canister to the gopro tray for weight. For video that will give you a tremendous amount of versatility. Bobby's lights are not cheap, but they are the best, and the system is incredible versatile

Back
Top Bottom