Belize....Land & Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riltri

Registered
Reaction score
Wife and I want to go to Belize for the first time in March or April '24 for 12-14 days. I dive, she loves to snorkel but does not dive. (I usually do 2 dives in the a.m. and snorkel with her in the afternoon). We both love to whitewater raft, explore ruins, would like to tube into caves, etc. I'm trying to determine if there is any single place we can stay and do both diving/snorkeling and land adventures OR do we need to divide this trip into 2 different locations. All suggestions appreciated!!

You can do this in the same location, but need to be more south for day boats going out each morning. We stayed in Hopkins Bay in 2022. I would suggest arranging a car rental in advance.

EDIT: My trip report is here: Trip Report - My first ever trip report on SB: Belize 2/2022

It's possible to stay south and do both, but you'll mostly be doing activities on different days - not diving in morning and land tours in afternoon, and you'll have long days for much of the land stuff. IMO there is much to be said for splitting a trip into ocean and inland parts and it sounds like you have the time,

I suggest looking closely at the things you want to do, where they are, and how long it will take to do them. Then decide what makes the most sense for you. You could still stay south for part and mix in some closer activities, then stay some days inland. (Also check the cruise ship schedule and avoid the places they hit when they're in.)

I would agree as others have suggested and split up the trip. My wife and I have been doing that lately and will again in January. The outer atolls have the better diving, but not as much for your wife to do while you're diving. If your pockets are a little deeper, Turneffe Island Resort is a pretty good option with a pool, stand-up paddle boards, etc. which your wife can enjoy while you dive. They also usually have a separate snorkel boat and go out a couple of times/day.
If you'd like to base your land options further south you could stay/dive with OFF The Wall which leaves out of Dangriga and stay out on Glovers for a week. Then when you return to the mainland on Saturday you can explore from there or head down to Placencia. Not as much to do on Glovers for your wife, but you can swim/snorkel right from shore there, and they have paddle boards and kayaks, etc. They will also arrange boat snorkels if you like, but everything is so close there. The owners, Jim and Kendra, are great people and I'm sure you'd enjoy it.
We're again staying on an outer Atoll to dive for a week and then rent a vehicle at the airport for a stay south of Belmopan. We've discovered the Sleeping Giant Lodge and the place is just great! It's also pretty central so you can go any direction from there. Lots of things to do and numerous Myan ruins within easy driving distance. With a vehicle you have the option of booking a resort tour and/or explore yourselves. Driving and exploring is easy and really pretty safe in Belize.
One tour that I can't recommend enough is the ATM cave tour. You have to arrange the tour with a company and space is a little limited. My wife and I thought it was one of the best "paid tours" we've ever been on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom