Belize stopover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlislere

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We will be cruising on Princess Cruise Lines with a stopover at Belize City. Should we sign up for the diving shore excursion or does anyone know who I should contact about diving at Belize City. Thanks.

It partly depends on when the ship will be in port. If the times match that of the morning dives, there are a couple of shops that offer diving that are willing to take cruisers. Belize it a tough choice anyway. Unlike Cozumel and Costa Maya where the ships tie up to a dock, in Belize the ship anchors quite a way out from land. The dive shop the ship contracts with will come to the ship to pick up the divers. If you make your own arrangements, you have to tender ashore then make your way to the dive operator.

Here is a LINK to responses to the question: "ship's excursion or private operator in Belize ?" from cruisecritic.com

I agree with diveborg that it partly depends on how long your ship will be in port. I did the Belize dive excursion from a Carnival Cruise. The dive shop's boat picked us up and deliver us back directly onto the cruise ship. The divers were the first group allowed off the cruise ship and we were almost the last to return.

I believe all those booked on ship-sponsored excursions were tendered off first, and those who had not booked an excursion had to wait until last and take a number before they could get a tender to the island. So, if you are making your own arrangements, you may want to check with Princess to see if have this procedure as well. If so, it could affect your scheduling by as much as 1-2 hours, maybe more.

Knowing what I know now, if I had it to do over, I'd probably stick with the ship's excursion again. Though it was overpriced, the timeframe (at least with Carnival) was so tight that any unforeseen circumstances with a personal arrangement easily could have meant missing the boat... literally.

Thanks. I spoke with a friend today who had been on the trip we are going on and he said those with shore excursions get off first; everyone has to wait. So, I will go with the shore excursion at Belize City. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom