Benchmark Masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could see that it might not fit, or leaked, or that you simply did not like it but for it to would be a trick I would not want to see, must really hurt.

N

It is at the bottom of the Puget sound, if you can find it I'd recommend giving it a go. :rofl3:

Don't sit on a frameless mask unless you have a spare with you. I'm just greatful that the shards did not punch holes in the caboose of my drysuit.

BTW, the said mask was not on anyones head at the time!

By 'mask' with no frills I mean as an example - not a HUD datamask. So why is the frameless Atomic better than others?

By 'mask' with no frills I mean as an example - not a HUD datamask. So why is the frameless Atomic better than others?

Low volume and wide field of view. Widest of any standard mask (not Hydroptics, etc) tested by Scuba Diving magazine a few years ago.

High-quality glass

Fit is very comfortable as the material is very soft/pliable. Comes in two sizes, so if one doesn't fit, try the other.

Your mileage may vary, but personally I wouldn't dive any other mask. I even bought a second for a backup because I became so accustomed to how great the Atomic is, I hated having my previous back-up mask on for even a few minutes during "primary mask failure" drills in my Tech class. (Folds virtually flat for easy pocket stowing as well.)

It is at the bottom of the Puget sound, if you can find it I'd recommend giving it a go. :rofl3:

Oh, now I see your problem--the mask goes on your face and not on your----:rofl3:.

Must be a PadI diver:idk:.

N

There's a lot of love for the Atomic Frameless, but I'm going to add in the Atomic Subframe. Low volume, great field of view and a great comfortable fit, at least for me.

I can't speak, though, about how durable it is while being used as a seat cushion, haven't tried that feature.

As was said before, though, masks and how they work are very dependant on the individual and how the mask fits his or her face.

Where are the props for Scubapro Orbit?

After 6 years my mask finally gave out while assisting a class last weekend, had to clear it every 2 minutes, small pinhole leak. I was in the shop today after reading this thread, and comparing the Atomic Frameless to the Scubapro Orbit...there was almost NO difference between the two. The frickin lens shape is even almost exactly the same.

The push-buttons for adjusting the strap length were a little different, and I actually liked the Scubapro's a little better (has two buttons you hold down simultaneously instead of one).

And the Scubapro was $15 less. I would bet my DIR buddie's gear setup Scubapro and Atomic use the same OEM to make these masks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom