Best AA batteries for cold water use in cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

natalieinca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are the best type of AA batteries for use in a camera underwater in cold water (45-55F)? I just got a point and shoot and housing and the housing manual says not to use alkaline batteries as they won't work as well when cold. I tried it anyway for the first dive out and they died right away. I've always used alkaline in lights and never had a problem there...

Just wondering what people's experience has been for battery life. Pros and cons of different types of rechargeables.

thanks

For cold conditions Lithium is best. My experience here is that Lithium will power equipment to colder temperatures than the displays will function.

I have been using the same set of Radio Shack rechargeable NiMh batteries in my digital camera for the past 6 years and the camera is used regularly. Many digital cameras do not like alkalines. My camera is frequently used outside in sub-zero C temperatures.

After North Pole and Antarctica scuba trips, I can recommend only one type "SANYO ENELOOP"

If you have money to throw around, get lithium ion AA batts. If you want to go the rechargeable route, then definitely get the eneloops.

On my Inon D2000, the Lithiums last about 9 dives, while the rechargeables last 4 dives. I just change them every night. No hassle.

The powerex 2700 are great too but they, like all other non eneloops batts, have very high rate of discharge. This isn't a problem if you top up all your batts a day before your dive and/or store your batts in the fridge

there are lots of batts with a higher capacitance than the eneloops (which are 2000) however, The OP needed a set of batts which perform well in cold water.

Eneloops have an extremely low rate of self discharge, and they work better than other brands of higher capacitance, in cold water.

Whats the point of having a batt with such high capacitance, when it performs poorly in cold water and/or discharges itself to a point thats below the eneloops before you even get to use them?

What is the point? It is cheaper. :wink:

Sanyo is a Mercedes in the battery market, of course pricey.

Back
Top Bottom