Best Cheeseburger on the Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

French Quarter was closed Saturday but they have been open the last few days before that.

The Hamburguesa House (hut?) across from Sabores on 5 is great, only open after 7pm. Was truly dangerous to live just around the corner from there for 6 months. I lost track of how many Diablas I had. Fantastic French fries as well. Don't go right at 7 -- you will wait a while for the charcoal to heat up. But always a few locals to chat with.

French Quarter was closed Saturday but they have been open the last few days before that.

Dave, the owner just posted on Facebook that he is now out of business!

Last edited:

I assume you mean LAST Saturday, Feb 23rd. They were definitely closed LAST night and I had heard from several reliable sources (including the owner himself a couple of months ago) that he was giving it until the end of February! I had hoped things would turn around for him - but sadly it didn't. The original French Quarter became a Coz icon and mainstay for locals, local ex-pats and tourists - but with two ownership changes, it lost it's charm.

David (most recent owner) I thought did an excellent job of trying to bring the restaurant crowd back and really focusing on an excellent authentic "cajun" menu - but getting it back on the map as a restaurant vs. a live music bar with medicore food was too big a job.

I am going to miss that place!

Huh? Have you never heard of beef tartare? Hamburgers are at their best medium rare, just like any other beef except for the stew kind.
Isn't beef tartare made from a solid piece of meat and chopped on site? Ground beef is shipped and stored that way. That makes a difference to me, anyway.

EDIT: Posted before reading the entire thread.

Dave, the owner just posted on Facebook that he is now out of business!

Too bad. I was pretty sure I saw people drinking at the bar Thursday and Friday, but did not go inside. Either way they are gone now.

I have never eaten one there but I would think if one wanted a "cheeseburger in paradise" they would go to Margaritaville across from the Mega. There is a place on 30th just South of Xel Ha that grills burgers in the window right at the street. Not sure of the name but it smells good. We got to craving them one night during Carnival and went to find them closed. Wound up eating burgers at the corner of XelHa and 30th. It wound up being exactly a hamburger. A thin piece of ground beef topped with a thin slice of ham. It was ok but not what we had in mind. Again I have not eaten a burger there but I would think Margaritaville would have a true American burger over most other places in Cozumel

I believe the French Quarter ceased operation last Wednesday (last drink glasses are sitting on the bar) and I heard they are selling off the stock Thursday, so by default they are no longer in the running. There are great restaurants all over the island but the best burger I have had, so far, was at the Blue Angel. Best pizza was at Ohana’s

On 11 across from the hosptil (just off 30 ave one block) Mac Eric .
Eric is from California and can cook a buger dont miss the hot sauce. great shrimp burritos too.
He used to have a food cart on 5 ave and 7

On 11 across from the hosptil (just off 30 ave one block) Mac Eric .
Eric is from California and can cook a buger dont miss the hot sauce. great shrimp burritos too.
He used to have a food cart on 5 ave and 7

Sounds like it might be worth a try for us. Any ideas about what his hours are?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom